Missing Leads in New Leads Activity?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Missing Leads in New Leads Activity?

Hi

We’re trying to understand an issue using the Marketo’s REST API. We are building a list of Leads based on the results we got from the New Leads activity endpoint. In other words, we make requests to get all the actitivies of type New Lead into a date range. Then we extract Lead IDs from those responses and we perform requests to the Leads endpoint looking for those collected IDs.

The issue is that New Leads activity endpoint is returning us just 12 leads, when we can see in the Marketo instance a bigger number of Leads. So the question is, Why New Leads Activity is returning us less Leads? Is there some configuration in Marketo or some condition for Leads entity that prevent the REST API to return the complete number of available Leads?

Another curious point is the distribution of items in the responses. /rest/v1/activities.json could return up to 300 results per response. In our case, each result represents a New Lead creation (Type 12). However, we got 4 results in the first response, and paginating from it, 2 more results in the next request and another 2 in the third request. Is that an expected behavior?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Missing Leads in New Leads Activity?

How far back did you start your Activity Log scan?

And yes, the short pages are expected behavior when filtering the log (the pages are based on all activities).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer! I'm not clear about the relationship between API endpoints and the Activity Log scan, sorry. I was looking for information but even when I found several pages in the Marketo's documentation, none of them are exactly about this point. Could you please share a reference to read more about the Activity Log scan?

Should I understand that even if we are already creating New Leads, if we are not running an activity log scan, those Leads won't be available using the Rest API? Should I start that log scan now to see later all the new leads from the lasts months?

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you please clarify for me the concept of Activity Log scan? Does it affect the access to New Leads in the REST API? Thank you

SanfordWhiteman

What I mean is that when you set a sinceDateTime, you're explicitly filtering out New Lead (Type 12) activities from outside the timeframe. To get all the New Lead activities you need to start from the earliest timestamp in the log and move forward.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. Yeah, we checked the sinceDateTime parameter. It is saying 2016-08-30, when we ask for a Paging Token that later we use to request the activity of type 12.

From that date until today, we know there are more Leads than just those 12 items. Looks like there are Leads, but they are not registered in the Activity-New Leads. They are visible from /rest/v1/leads.json

Is it possible for some reason in Marketo, that Lead creation does not create entries in the Activity New Leads type 12? Or that those entries were deleted or outside the scope of the REST API?

Thanks again

SanfordWhiteman

Is it possible for some reason in Marketo, that Lead creation does not create entries in the Activity New Leads type 12? Or that those entries were deleted or outside the scope of the REST API?

Shouldn't be possible to be outside the scope.

Try creating a couple hundred dummy leads and then look for just the last few days of Type 12s. Maybe your ActLog is getting aged out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Sanford. We're trying that. Is there a way to visualize the Activity New Leads as an entity directly on the Marketo UI instead of accessing it using the API?

SanfordWhiteman

Not in a way that prove that the Activity API would work, no. I mean, you can create a Smart List for Lead was Created, but that isn't literally using the same API we're testing.