0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 4:28 PM by Paul Wilson

[Duplicate Records Tip] Why duplicate records get created and how to setup Duplicate Detection Rules in DCRM

Paul Wilson

The Marketo connector for Microsoft Dynamics doesn't check for matched Marketo records when a new record is sync'd from Dynamics. This can create havoc in your database if you have many Marketo only records.

Here are a couple of scenarios outlining how duplicates may be being created:

Scenario 1: Marketo only record and new lead from DCRM

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.12.38 PM.png

Scenario 2: Duplicates from DCRM

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.18.20 PM.png

Scenario 3: Matching Lead and Contact from DCRM create duplicates in Marketo

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.18.28 PM.png

To help prevent these scenarios I suggest you sync all of your DCRM records with Marketo so that any form completions or imports into Marketo will match the existing record and not create duplicates, and you sync all of your Marketo records with DCRM and enable Duplicate Detection Rules in DCRM.

Here is how to set up duplicate detection rules:

Step1: Navigate to Data Management

Step 2: Select Duplicate Detection Rules

Step 3: Select New

Step 4: Define the rule, save and close

Step 5: Publish the rule

Here are the rules I would suggest you begin with:

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 4.18.54 PM.png

If you need to support duplicates in DCRM and you've setup the sync filter field in DCRM and you can prevent them from being sync'd with Marketo by setting their SyncToMkto field to "no".

Share your experiences in managing duplicates in the comments here - I am sure there are many alternate approaches out there!

Paul Wilson