AnsweredAssumed Answered

Marketo recommends "," delimiter instead of ";"?

Question asked by Christina Zuniga Expert on Apr 6, 2017
Latest reply on May 22, 2017 by ed476209a0a9af5b9c20abf328a4e7d4ef2d4704

Speaking to one of my vendor's today about how they are parsing data to Marketo. They use a comma as a delimiter rather than a semi colon. This is an issue with multi-select fields, Marketo accepts the information as a string (no issue), but my connection to Salesforce causes a sync issue because they see the field as a multi-select with specific selections and they use a semi colon to determine those selections. I've complained loudly and often about this issue.

However, today the vendor said that their engineering team spoke to Marketo engineers about the issue and Marketo recommended commas as delimiters calling it a best practice. This can't be true, can it? Is there some reason why Marketo would prefer a comma over a semi colon? Is there something I don't know?

In order to get around this, I have to have two fields for this one multi select - the vendor drops their data into one and then I have a smart campaign add semi-colons between selections and drop that into the second field, the one that Salesforce has access to. Obviously this isn't scalable or fun .

Outcomes