3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 12:00 PM by Ben Beck

Are emojis in subject lines worth it?

Trent Cross

I ran across this blogpost worth sharing as we discussed the use of emojis in emails the last couple of meetings.

"Should you put emojis in the subject lines of your marketing emails? Your email inbox likely has several subject lines that include emojis. Why are marketers using them? Do they trigger spam classification? Are they helping open rates? Those questions and more, answered in this blog post: https://www.clearvoice.com/emojis-marketing-emails-match-made-heaven/ "

Don't forget to check out Jace Garside's reply in this blog: SLC MUG Meeting:  Email Best Practices. "...feel free to use the following link to encode your emojis - Q-Encoder for Email Headers - Dehumanizer's Tools

What do you think? 

• Re: Are emojis in subject lines worth it?

Personally, I think the use of emojis in subject lines should be determined by 1) the voice and tone of the person/company you are speaking on behalf of, 2) the audience you are speaking to and 3) based on data, preferably determined through A/B test results. For example:

Codeacademy often use emojis in their subject lines and it feels appropriate. As a company, they preach about disrupting educational experiences and their audience is made up of self-taught coders. Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 1.04.55 PM.png

InkAddict often uses emojis that feel relevant as well. Their brand foundation is built on reflecting alternative, tattoo culture and community.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 1.06.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.15.12 AM.png

Here at Alliance Health, we haven't used emojis in our subject lines yet (but it's something we should test!). We are beginning to introduce a more energy-infused and accessible tone across our communications and emojis feel they may fit within that voice. However, because our audience demographic consists mainly of leads over the age of 45 it may not connect well with them. This is where our testing will come into play! We will have to keep the community updated on what kind of results we see.

• Re: Are emojis in subject lines worth it?
            Ben Beck

Trent! Small world! That was my ClearVoice post you came across.

I've been testing out emojis for my main employer, Kuali, and have seen strong results. We sell to higher-education professionals, which tend to be more sophisticated... but even with that they have still responded well.

For example, in one of the subject lines, when we were soliciting event attendees to meet with us at a conference, we saw 40% more opens by using a "sun" emoji:

see you in san diego.jpg