SOLVED

Social Media Tracking

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Social Media Tracking

Hi, my company has been wanting to track which leads are clicking through on the links we share via social media. I was reading this article https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-2584, and it sounds like it is possible to some extent. I have a few questions, though:

- Do URL parameters only work on Marketo landing pages? Would the parameters work for a page on our main website even if that page doesn't have an embedded form? I'm asking because the links we share via social media are not always Marketo landing pages or pages with forms.

- Can we use the name of a custom field for the Parameter Name? In the example, it only uses the "Source" field.

- Depending on the type of the custom field (Parameter Name), can the Parameter Value be a value (such as +1) if we wanted to track number of clicks for a particular social network for a particular lead?

Thanks for you help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Social Media Tracking

Please move the question to Products​ as it is Marketo implementation-specific. (Marketing Central is supposed to be for general mktg discussion, though this is totally confusing because there are Marketo-specific blog posts there. Grr.)

- Do URL parameters only work on Marketo landing pages? Would the parameters work for a page on our main website even if that page doesn't have an embedded form? I'm asking because the links we share via social media are not always Marketo landing pages or pages with forms.

Do they "work"... well, they certainly still appear in the URL! But if there is nothing to process them, they'll just be ignored. When tracking the touch-to-conversion path, you want your tracking scripts on every single page, even if the pages don't contain forms. This way the information is persisted (= stored in cookies) to be forwarded around until there's a reason/way to pass it up to Marketo.

- Can we use the name of a custom field for the Parameter Name? In the example, it only uses the "Source" field.

You can use any field you want.

- Depending on the type of the custom field (Parameter Name), can the Parameter Value be a value (such as +1) if we wanted to track number of clicks for a particular social network for a particular lead?

You can't directly use a lead field, even it's numeric, as an "Increment By" field against another (Number or Score) field without calling a webhook to do the addition.

You can use the last update of a field to increment a Score. Trigger on Data Value Changes for a field called Last Source, for example, constraining by New Value is Twitter.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Please move the question to Products​ as it is Marketo implementation-specific. (Marketing Central is supposed to be for general mktg discussion, though this is totally confusing because there are Marketo-specific blog posts there. Grr.)

Do they "work"... well, they certainly still appear in the URL! But if there is nothing to process them, they'll just be ignored. When tracking the touch-to-conversion path, you want your tracking scripts on every single page, even if the pages don't contain forms. This way the information is persisted (= stored in cookies) to be forwarded around until there's a reason/way to pass it up to Marketo.

You can use any field you want.

You can't directly use a lead field, even it's numeric, as an "Increment By" field against another (Number or Score) field without calling a webhook to do the addition.

You can use the last update of a field to increment a Score. Trigger on Data Value Changes for a field called Last Source, for example, constraining by New Value is Twitter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sanford! How would I create a webhook like you mentioned above?

SanfordWhiteman

The easiest way would be to get a Community API key from http://flowboost.tk * and then here's your hook:

var newScore =  {{lead.Score}} + {{lead.Some Parameter Name}};

* I'm the platform lead for FlowBoost.