do leads get stuck in an infinite loop in engagement programs?

Jamie-Carey
Level 6

do leads get stuck in an infinite loop in engagement programs?

Has anyone had there leads get stuck in an infinite loop as described in Docs?

Add a Program to an Engagement Program Stream - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 3.12.30 PM.png

I'm not seeing this in my smart lists to troubleshoot and I'm not seeing it in testing.

Can anyone confirm if this is true from their recent experience? I'm thinking maybe it was true at one point in time but maybe it isn't anymore.

17 REPLIES 17
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: do leads get stuck in an infinite loop in engagement programs?

Hi Jamie,

Can you provide screenshots of the smart campaign smart list (the smart campaign that sits in the nested program and sends the email)?

If it is properly configured, there is no reason why you should have a problem

-Greg

Jamie-Carey
Level 6

It's "member of engagement program" and another filter for "not visited webpage" in the smart list for the program nested in the stream. My question though is whether the documentation is correct in saying any other filters besides the member of engagement program will cause leads to be stuck in an infinite loop.

Jamie-Carey
Level 6

Sorry, not that any other filters would cause them to be stuck in an infinite loop but if they didn't meet the qualifications of all the filters, then they would be stuck in an infinite loop.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

I would trust the doc on this. Rather use this additional filter in choices in the smart campaign that sends the email.

-Greg

Jamie-Carey
Level 6

I'm asking the question because I don't think the docs are correct. And I haven't been able to prove they are correct in my testing or in my engagement program.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, this is a documented "feature" which I've discussed before. It ONLY applies if you use Programs in your streams.

You MUST allow ALL leads in the cast to qualify for the smart list, otherwise the non qualifiers go into Engagement Purgatory, never to receive a Cast again.

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I just did some testing on this and wrote about the results.  If you want to exclude someone as long as they are part of the program that smart campaign that is nested in the nurture it will work.  They will get stuck in the infinite loop if they are not part of the member of that program.  If you turn the nurture off and back on they leave purgatory. 

https://nation.marketo.com/community/champion/blog/2016/12/11/how-to-set-up-nurtures-so-folks-dont-g...

Jamie-Carey
Level 6

Support got back to me last week and they said that the documentation is incorrect and leads will not get stuck in an infinite loop. They are looking to get the docs changed.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

Thx a lot for coming back to us on this.

-Greg