3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 2:37 PM by Edward Unthank (ETU)

Best practices for keeping the data base clean (and compliant!)

Kendall Sours

I recently joined a company that has been using Marketo for sometime and is battling some data quality issues (old contacts with bad emails mostly.) I wanted to hear your advice/suggestions for maintaining a clean data base. What routine maintenance checks do you typically perform?

• Re: Best practices for keeping the data base clean (and compliant!)
          Edward Unthank (ETU)

Hey Kendall! We mostly do email verification checks, because of email addresses decaying over time (people moving to different companies, email addresses going bad, etc.). We do a whole-database email verification twice a year, but you can make that more specific to smaller percentages of the database or to fit your business needs.

You can either do that with a service that validates email addresses, or another one you can look into is SiftRock, which does reply management. That's pretty helpful if you're doing large send volumes and have people who are moving jobs frequently--it watches replies to any of your emails and does some natural language parsing so that you can see when people are out of office or move companies. Super helpful if you had original sales conversations with someone and then you get a reply that they've moved companies, because it usually in the process says who the replacement is, and SiftRock can create them in Marketo/SFDC so you can continue the conversation. I know at a lot of companies I see there hasn't been a great way to deal with people moving companies like this besides a huge amount of manual effort that gets only marginal success.

- Edward

Kendall Sours

Thanks Edward! Do you have a specific vendor you recommend for email verification?

We've also had a few instances of an email hard bouncing once so Marketo flags it as invalid, but the email is actually good and sales reps are actually in communication with them. Have you experienced those issues?

Thanks for your help!

Edward Unthank (ETU)

Hey Kendall, for email verification there are a few vendors out there. I happen to be one of them, so I'm biased and you should do your own research. : )

I haven't seen that specific example of an email hard bouncing, but I can imagine how/why it happens. One of the reasons why that might happen is that if a mail server is temporarily down and Marketo sends an email at that time, it will hard bounce, but that could be a temporary problem. Marketo would consider that a hard bounce (because it is a hard bounce), and that could throw up the error. You could always run those hard bounced emails through an email validation check and then change back those "invalid" email addresses to valid, but my assumption is that it should be a pretty shockingly small amount of email addresses who face this problem.

Edward