Force assignment rule on implied Salesforce sync

Anthony_Pica
Level 4

Force assignment rule on implied Salesforce sync

The forms on our webpages belong to Marketo programs that are synced to Salesforce. When someone fills out a form, there's a flowstep that changes their program status, which implies a Salesforce action to create a new lead in Salesforce.

The problem is that this implied Salesforce lead creation doesn't use Salesforce auto-assignment rules.

As a workaround, we created a separate triggered smart campaign when someone fills out any form, and a flowstep for Sync Lead to SFDC (Assign to --Use Auto-Assignment Rules--). But auto-assignment rules still aren't being used, and I suspect that's because the implied Salesforce sync mentioned above is being triggered before this Sync Lead to SFDC smart campaign.

Ultimately, if a lead is created in Marketo that's not yet in Salesforce, I want to ensure that the lead is created in Salesforce and uses auto-assignment rules. What's the best practice for this?

3 REPLIES 3
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Force assignment rule on implied Salesforce sync

If the trigger you built is the first sync to SFDC (with auto-assignment rules) then SFDC's own auto-assignment should work. It is possible that the leads have already been synced from another smart campaign to SFDC before the smart campaign you built does so.

Also when Marketo first syncs to SFDC, it adopts SFDC's own assignment rules. But if the lead has already been synced, a sync to SFDC with auto assignment will keep the owner as is.

Anthony_Pica
Level 4

The leads are being synced to Salesforce implicitly before the smart campaign I built is triggered, which means SFDC auto-assignment rules aren't used.

Also when Marketo first syncs to SFDC, it adopts SFDC's own assignment rules.

Is that true even with implicit syncing (via Marketo Program to Salesforce Campaign sync)? Based on my experience, it doesn't seem to be the case, but I'm not sure.

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Oh I see, so you are syncing to SFDC via a program before your trigger campaign's flow syncs the lead.

No, I believe if it's the first sync to SFDC, it has to be via a flow for it to adopt SFDC's auto-assignment rules. If the first sync to SFDC is not from a flow (ex. via a program sync) then SFDC's auto-assignment rules do not take over.