SOLVED

Undelivered Sales Insight Emails Marked as Open

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Undelivered Sales Insight Emails Marked as Open

Our sales support team is sending emails using the Marketo plugin for Outlook. For several of the emails that have been sent via send and track, we receive an undeliverable notice from Outlook (see below - note: I've removed the contact information for privacy).

undeliverable.JPG

This would lead us to believe that the email has not been sent, but when I check the contact record in Salesforce it shows that the email has been opened.

Has anyone ever encountered this or does anyone have any insight on this topic? Could it be that when Outlook marks an email as undeliverable Marketo somehow thinks it's been opened by the recipient? Or perhaps, the email is actually being delivered and it's an error within Outlook?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Undelivered Sales Insight Emails Marked as Open

Ah, forgot you can only see the opening IP if you're running your own tracking server.

Well, what I was looking for in this specific case was if the ​Open​ activity was actually being triggered by an overly rich bounce message -- one that included the original tracking pixel -- so it was in fact you opening it.

Other than that, you're probably encountering an overzealous anti-spam scanner registering the open before checking the recipient.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

What is the IP address of the Opened Email activity? (It isn't your corporate IP, is it?)

Also note that when mail scanners follow links and/or download images in emails (marking them as opened), the scan may in some cases fire before the mail recipient is verified (i.e. if you're using an anti-abuse gateway that doesn't have an up-to-date list of recipients, it will scan all mail and then discover that it could not be delivered).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sanford. I appreciate your help.

Where would I find the IP address of the activity? I checked in the SFDC contact record and in the Marketo lead record activity log, but didn't see it.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

you can click on the id# of the lead activity. it may or may not help.

SanfordWhiteman

Ah, forgot you can only see the opening IP if you're running your own tracking server.

Well, what I was looking for in this specific case was if the ​Open​ activity was actually being triggered by an overly rich bounce message -- one that included the original tracking pixel -- so it was in fact you opening it.

Other than that, you're probably encountering an overzealous anti-spam scanner registering the open before checking the recipient.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I assumed it had to be something like that. Appreciate your help!