42 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 6:33 AM by Ayan Talukder

Are there any Cvent + Marketo users here?

Ayan Talukder

We onboarded Cvent this summer, great tool and had all of the features we wanted. However we started to notice a few issues with the data from Cvent syncing to Marketo. We set up everything as instructed and was told everything looked fantastic. After two events we just hosted, we noticed the data was not always making it through to Marketo from Cvent. It got so bad, that only 50% of the people attended our most recent event ended up with their status changed in Marketo.

We had to manually update the rest, but it's been a real pain. I just wanted to reach out to the community and see if there are any other Marketo + Cvent users here?

I have to be honest, the Cvent integration with Marketo is pretty out-dated. They rely on a Campaign is Requested trigger and look to see if the Source is Web Service API. I am concerned Marketo is unable to handle the calls coming from Cvent and is missing them.

• Re: Are there any Cvent + Marketo users here?
          Kim Gandy

Ayan, our conference team has been using the Cvent/Marketo push API for two months and I haven't heard of any data issues. I'll agree, it wasn't the most intuitive integration process.

Josh Hill

I would contact cvent support. It's also possible there are too many triggers in your system, which may have created issues for updating data.

Ayan Talukder

Thanks Josh, we've been going back and forth with Marketo and Cvent's support. They are definitely both helpful in terms of looking into the issue but it's been an ongoing case for over 2 weeks . We'll have to wait and see what the eventual outcome is.

I suspected it to be Marketo unable to handle the dozens of API calls at the same time. We do have many other trigger campaigns running as well, do you think that could be slowing our Marketo instance down?

Hey Ayan, I'm working on my integration right now and there's a lot to do for the overall integration, and then by event. I could easily see something being missed or done even slightly incorrectly that there could be hiccups. *nervous*

If you learn anything, please keep us updated!

Ayan,

Did you ever get your integration issues resolved? We've been on Cvent coming on 3 or 4 weeks and our integration has failed horribly. Just had a call with them the other day and they said I did everything correctly and that there is a bug on their end. Waiting to hear more, but so dissapointed. Wondering how you are doing.

Ayan Talukder

Hi Amanda,

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see this! So for the last 3 or so months we have been going back and forth between Cvent and Marketo. We have finally been able to get both Cvent and Marketo developers to work together and it  seems to be in Marketo's hands now.

We did notice the number of leads that were being updated by Cvent were increasing but there weer still small discrepancies. Our events are done for 2016, but the real test to see if their "fix" works will be Spring 2017.

You can mention that you are facing a similar problem as Esri Canada, and maybe link this thread. Hopefully it sparks something on both of their ends to get something working soon.

I wish the integration with Cvent was as simple as it is with webinar providers. Never have had an issue with WebEx because of the direct integration built in Marketo

Dina Otero

Hi Ayan, we are Cvent and Marketo users and ran into a similar issue. We ended up exporting our list and imported it into Cvent. It worked for what we tried to accomplish but was a pain to send emails (ended up doing it from Cvent), track and score activity.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

We've used both for a few years. I'll need to go back to my notes but there were some issues in one direction of the sync at times. I want to say it was Cvent->Marketo but I believe it was because we had to manually upload a large amount of the registrations from Marketo into Cvent initially. We are looking at structuring registration differently this year to avoid that issue.

If you want to reach out to me, I can take a look at your process with you and see if maybe there are some lessons we've learned that may apply to your case as well.

Meanwhile, I'll dig through my notes from last year and see if I can find where the data issues sprung from.

Sara Greaves

Hi Ayan,

We had some issues (with INXPO) that were related to duplicate leads. When there was a duplicate lead, the data wouldn't sync back into Marketo. Dayna Wellman can elaborate on these issues if you're interested.

Casey Henry

Update: as of 12/20/16 the integration is still failing. Session tracking turned off. Using the campaign call at global and event local level. Not all registrants get created, not all mapped fields sync. If anyone else has any news on this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Benjamin Ortiz

Anyone have experience handling guest registration with cvent and Marketo? We would like to somehow relate the guest back to the main registrant. We are also running into the issue of registrants sometimes entering in the same email address for their guest if it is a family member, therefore they would be de-duped when synced to Marketo.

Jeff Coveney

Ayan:

As others have suggested, definitely try working with cvent to try to address the matter. I don't have direct experience with cvent but know they are one of the leaders in the event management space.

If you can't find an adequate solution natively (Have seen with other solutions), you may want to look at some middleware to connect the systems. Haven't used them for marketo-to-cvent but solutions like Zapier and Bedrock Data can sometimes fill that data sync gap. Zapier is more for easy one-off data moves while Bedroock is more for ongoing syncing.

Good luck

Drew Smith

Hi,

I've worked through several Cvent integrations and have several issues that arise. Below are the common issues and resolutions that I've found.

Authorization - At times the integration will fail completely. In this situation, calling Cvent Support has resulted in them explaining that there was an authorization issue on their end. They will fix it and the integration will resume.

Leads not syncing to the correct list - This is oftentimes caused by a typo in the list name for a specific integration point at the event level.

Leads not syncing to the correct list/Program status not updating - This can be caused if you are using workspaces and partitions. Sometimes, the lead record won't be in the correct partition for the workspace that the event is located in. In this situation, you need to reevaluate your data collection practices to ensure that you have the proper information to place leads into the correct partition/workspace.

Trigger campaigns not firing - This can be caused by your campaigns not reacting to the proper triggers. We recommend triggering off of the addition of a lead to a list and/or data in the Cvent Custom Object changing. The Cvent Custom Object functionality is pretty cool and seems to work more reliably than the list addition process. If you aren't using it, I highly recommend it.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me at drew@leadmd.com

Thanks!

Drew

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    Drew Smith

Hi,

One other thing I meant to include, but didn't. A great way to help troubleshoot integration issues is to run the "Records Transferred to Marketo" report. It's a standard report that exists in the reporting area. That report can help you identify failures during a specific time period, which is certainly helpful in the troubleshooting process. I've found this report to be an invaluable tool when diagnosing the cause of integration challenges.

Thanks,

Drew

Benjamin Ortiz

We've been attempting to use the cvent/marketo integration since January of this year with numerous issues (leads not syncing over to marketo, program statuses not changing, list import function not working). After going back and forth with Cvent for months it seems like they might have a solution to the problem which they are currently testing internally. Until then the integration is useless in my opinion, and I would advise anyone to not use it until it is working properly.

Christina Zuniga

I was told that the internal fix would take 6-8 weeks, which put it just before my event. I'm a very unhappy customer and have to have an intern reconcile each registration to make sure that we aren't losing data (which we've already seen)!

Drew Smith

Hi Christina,

Curious... Did they tell what you the issue is and what the fix is? I've not had this long of a wait time to fix any of the  issues I've encountered with the Cvent integration, so definitely curious to know more.

Thanks!

Drew

Christina Zuniga

Drew Smith, Benjamin Ortiz is right, it has to do with the API changes that Marketo came out with last year. When the API changed, it caused their integration to become unstable and they began to see data issues.

This is really concerning for me, because I sent them the notification that Marketo emailed me and let them know of the API changes. They assured me that their engineers were aware and there would be no impact. Clearly that was incorrect.

The 'internal fix' is actually rebuilding the API so that it connects properly to Marketo and from what they've told me they plan on connecting that automatically when it comes out, so that I don't have to do any additional work. This worries me, since 1) what if it's not QA'd properly and causes more issues?! and 2) it will be released right before my event. Given the timing there's no way I can switch to another event management provider, so right now it's fingers crossed from my point of view.

Benjamin Ortiz

It has to do with cvent switching to the REST API, if you purchased the integration recently I would advise getting a refund as the product they sold you is not functional.

Drew Smith

Hi Benjamin,

Same offer to you as to Christina above. If you'd like to see if we can figure it out on a quick GoToMeeting, I'd love to try to help. As I mentioned, I just went through a brand new integration recently and it's working just fine. Perhaps I can be of help. If you're interested, let me know at drew@leadmd.com.

Thanks,

Drew

Adrianna Bloch

Hi Drew,

I am trying to confirm the integration set up between our Marketo instance and Cvent. I have been told that Marketo is a listener and only receives data from Cvent. Also, I would be interested to know if the optimal way to use the Cvent platform with Marketo is to send all emails from Cvent and use Marketo as the lead capture. I would be interested to know how others are using their integration and what is truly optimal. We want to manage against any unsubscribes to ensure we are not including them in any event sends but I believe this could be accomplished by vetting the initial list but still sending the emails from Cvent. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adee

Josh Hill

Whatever you decide is optimal for your business.

I would send most emails out of Marketo and design your flows and data sync to handle that. But there are use cases where Cvent should send things like Receipts or complex agenda selections.

Drew Smith

Hi Adee,

In agreement with Josh's note above, I would send things like invitations, confirmations, reminders through Marketo. Anything involving financial transactions (receipts, refunds, etc.) or event selections (breakouts, seminars, etc.) should be sent via Cvent.

You are correct that the integration is a push integration where Cvent pushes data into Marketo. It is not a bi-directional sync, as you see between Marketo and SFDC.

A vastly underutilized element of the integration is the custom object sync. I find this to be very helpful/useful, but not many people set it up. I strongly advise in favor of using this element of the integration.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks!

Drew

Adrianna Bloch

Hi Drew,

My next question may seem silly, but I don’t have any experience with using Cvent. We have a Sales Admin Team that uses this tool. If we use Marketo to send invites, confirmations, and reminders how would this work with Cvent? What element is Cvent capturing?

What we are trying to accomplish is a way to allow our very large sales team to execute events due to our very small team not being able to accommodate all of their requests being executed through Marketo. What I was thinking is that if the emails are executed out of Cvent that we supply the invite list and request any lists to them import.

Is there a way for us to set up a process that could allow us to automate the list import? Is this where the custom object could be useful?

Thanks,

Adee

Drew Smith

Hi Adee,

Not a silly question at all. Cvent would be capturing registrations, cancellations, etc. and then pushing those into Marketo lists. Marketo can then be set up to trigger based on an individual being added to, or removed from, a list within your even program. That action would then tell Marketo send a confirmation email, a reminder email, etc.

If Marketo is sending the invitations, you shouldn't have to worry about list imports at all. Marketing, even with a small team, should be able to manage the invitation list and send. Alternately, you can empower sales to send the invites on their own via Sales Insight. You can make the invitations available through Sales Insight so that sales can invite whomever they want, without requiring Marketo to get involved. You could also empower sales to do this through the corresponding SFDC campaign (provided the Marketo program is synced with the SFDC campaign).

What is your current process for managing the lists for event invitations?

Drew

Adrianna Bloch

Hi Drew,

Your suggestion about using MSI is awesome! What I would like to know is how best to organize the templates that the sales team can access. It should be noted that we have a shared instance of SFDC and Marketo.

It should also be noted that we do not use templatized event invites. Within our business we support multiple channels and 100’s of products so many requests are custom. This is the challenge with events. We don’t have the capacity to execute all of the events that are coming in from the sales team. It is highly probable that we will continue to use Cvent to execute the invites, reminders, etc. Is the only option for us, in terms of data capture and exchange to import the lists to Marketo? Would the use of a custom object be an aide in anyway?

The other challenge we have is making sure we are not sending email to anyone who has opted out of email messaging or those who may be in an email blackout. Since there is not a 2 way communication between Cvent and Marketo what is the optimal way to provide lists to the team using Cvent to adhere and be email compliant?

I really do appreciate your input. I am like James Dyson in the sense that just want things to work properly. The caveat is that I have to attempt that in the construct of what is possible based on our tech stack and how it is built.

Adee

Adrianna Bloch

Large events, mostly national, are managed in Marketo for invite sends, reminders, etc.

Small, regional and local events, are done in Cvent and to date we have not had a good process of being made aware of these events and then getting the list details. This is what I would like to automate, but I don’t think there is an established process in place to accomplish this task. If I am correct we would need to be sent the extracted list if Marketo is not sending anything.

Drew Smith

Hi Adee,

The unsubscribe piece is precisely why I like managing invitations and the like through Marketo. Since Marketo is housing your unsubscribe process (which it should), that ensures that unsubscribes are properly managed. Any emails sent via Cvent would be operational in nurture and therefore not need to worry about unsubscribes.

I would advise that you create email templates to use for your events. You should also have a program template for your most commonly used event types. This allows you to quickly react to the needs of your sales team, or even empower a Sales Ops person to manage this.

If using this methodology, you don't have to worry about manually importing lists. Sales selects whom they want to invite through SFDC and sends the invites via MSI. Cvent pushes registrations and cancellations to Marketo, which then triggers confirmation emails based on those actions. The whole process is automated.

If you'd like to discuss further, I'd suggest reaching out to me via email at drew@leadmd.com.

Thanks!

Drew

Jack Schneider

We are about to roll out our Cvent/Marketo integration in the next coming months. Looking for any videos, tutorials, etc. Thanks, all!

Ayan Talukder

Just to provide an update from 2 years ago, Cvent has been working much better now. They have finally integrated REST API along with having SOAP API making campaign calls. We have seen far less issues with the lead data transferring over to Marketo, but have encountered some newer issues such as:

• Cvent requiring the same field type (e.g. string, integer, boolean, etc.) when mapping the Cvent fields with Marketo fields. The only resolution for this was creating a new field. In our case it was Phone Extension which was a string value in Marketo previously.
                                                                    • Issues with the Marketo external authentication blanking out our Marketo values because Cvent changed the way certain fields authenticated. For example our Province field would have the fully spelt out name such as Ontario. Cvent modified their authentication with a province code (in this case ON). When Cvent tried to populate the Province field, it was looking for "ON" and did not recognize the full name (Ontario). It then blanked out the Province field and cleared it in Marketo afterwords. We had to convert all of our province fields to the "province codes" to avoid this issue.
                                                                      • We're trying to figure out if external authentication is even worth it since it seems to be causing more issues for our customers than helping.