Constantly finding faults with Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Constantly finding faults with Marketo

I know most of you here are Marketo evangelists, but I have had nothing but issues with them since our signup about two months ago. My account manager is great, but there are SO many technical bugs and problems that no one seems to be able to provide an answer for - to the point that we have only been able to send one email in the past two months.

Is this common, and is there hope, or has it been consistently getting worse (for those users who have been here for a while)? I'm so frustrated because I was Marketo's biggest advocate internally, and I just feel like I hit a wall every time I try to show off a capability that *should* be working. 

Please can you tell me your experiences with them, and do you have any recommendations on how to escalate things - I'm just at my wits end.

85 REPLIES 85
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Constantly finding faults with Marketo

Hey Regina, every implementation of Marketo is unique, but what type of specific problems have you been running into? Did you migrate from another MA tool or are you starting fresh?

As far as escalating things, if you have support tickets open you should be able to escalate directly through the ticket -- but I would definitely look at the things that you're having issues with. Can you provide more insight there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been having issues with the IP we're sending from being blacklisted due to another customers mailings - literally every time we try to send a mailing - meaning our spam filter/mail client (and the one we sell to the majority of our customers, who we're trying to communicate with) it is blocked, so they never get through. I would expect this to happen very occasionally, but this has happened every single time bar one that we have tried to send a mailing. It seems like a ploy to get us to pay for a dedicated IP, but we don't send enough volume to have one. I've managed to get on a "trusted ip" list, so we'll see if that solves that one problem, but that's just the beginning.

I couldn't access the support portal for the first three weeks of having the programme (even though I was the only registered account user, and the account admin), and I couldn't set myself as the support contact - that was all a massive mess, which was finally fixed.

I still can't access the University page - I have escalated this to T1 and still have yet to receive a solution for this.

I can't add other admins to the instance.

I consistently have trouble logging in, where it says my user name and password doesn't exist, can't reset my password, so have to email support for that.

The IP address was the big one, which is hopefully fixed now (after three weeks), but I was just wanting to see if my experience is a common one, i.e., is Marketo actually riddled with faults that no one finds out about until after you've bought the product, and the support is horrendous and we're all in this together, or am I just hugely unlucky? I'm not sure which answer would make me feel better

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

These definitely seem to be unique problems... One question regarding your sends: Have you set up SPF and DKIM (properly)? I know Sanford Whiteman​ knows a lot about this. This will help with your deliverability, if you haven't already set it up.

As far as everything else, I would really push back hard on your account manager. Even if they're great, they aren't helping to get these problems solved -- which is a huge part of their job.

Hopefully once these initial bugs are worked out you will feel like you can be successful with Marketo, as it is a very robust platform. And while there are definite improvements that Marketo could make, bugs aren't something that you should be running across. Best of luck!

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Also, apparently the community doesn't like it if you say "push back hard *on* your account manager". Someone has the filters turned up pretty high

Anonymous
Not applicable

HAHAHAHAHA I was wondering what you'd said there!

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

The account managers love it though

Joe_Reitz
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

*giggle*

If it doesn't look cool, you're probably doing it wrong.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I swear that 'safety' feature has failed us more than helped us! Sorry about that Dory Viscogliosi

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Haha, it keeps things exciting!