Two Lead Record Types in Salesforce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Lead Record Types in Salesforce

Has anyone had to deal with two lead record types in Salesforce?  How do you make sure Marketo is updating the right record with new activity?  How can you create a second lead for the new lead record type if Marketo does not allow for dupes? Any best practice advice/resource around dealing with two lead record types would be very helpful. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Two Lead Record Types in Salesforce

You can ask support to manage duplicates on the combination of email address + record type.

But are you sure you want to do this? campaign targeting will be tricky and when someone comes on a form for the first place, you won't be able to control which record is updated...

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  I did not know they could do the email address + record type.

Yes, we have two sales process and teams in one salesforce org that could sell two different brands/products into a customer at the same time.  I am also concerned the record updates. 

I know Panasonic did a lot of custom code to make this work and did something with Master Record and Child Records but we can't do this right now.  Hoping someone has an easier solution.

KC

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The fact that you have 2 BU's selling does not necessarily justifies that the lead is a duplicate. It is still the same person, with one single behavior, and the last thing you want to avoid is that this person be call by 2 different sales rep in the same week.

Better set up some priority rules so that a lead is assigned either to one or the other of the Record types (and the BU) based on the behavior or the form entries.

BTW, the lead Record type can be set from Marketo, with a simple "change data value" flow step.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

We did try to build it all in one lead record but they have different lead sources, different lead scores, different lead statuses and different qualification fields and with required fields in SFDC for conversion we were having to update lead status in both and it was messing up all of our reporting.