Is there a way to make marketo look at the latest action instead of the whole history

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

Is there a way to make marketo look at the latest action instead of the whole history

i've run into a difficulty with sending an email after a lead is subscribed to our product news that i'm unable to solve w/o having to set up 10+ separate trigger campaigns

we have an "email" form at the footer of each product website that subscribes you to product news

10 products, 10 separate forms with 2 fields: email + product_subscription_checkbox

depending on  the product form submitted the field "subscription topic" is being filled in by the "change data value" action

after the form is being submitted we send a confirmation email where subscription topic is a token

Capture.PNG

that's what i have in the flow:

1.PNG

i've turned it on and was happy for a week until i spotted the problem:

if a lead goes and fills in form A (as a new lead) - he gets his newsletter with a right subscription topic. if he than goes and subscribes to some other product news and that product is BELOW the product A in my change data value step (for example, product A was choice 3 and product B is choice 😎 he will receive an email with that old previous topic for product A

Obviously, marketo checks his history, sees that he did fill in the form for product A and as it's higher than for product B, it sets the A as a first choice again

i've thought very hard about possible workarounds, but the only one that came to my mind was to have all 10 subscriptions in a separate flow. which is a lot of manual set up

may be there is a way of making marketo look only at the latest choice that i've missed out?

1 REPLY 1
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Is there a way to make marketo look at the latest action instead of the whole history

It's a complete shift from how you're currently doing things, but what if instead of a boolean field for whether or not they're a subscriber, it's a time/date stamp. This accomplishes a couple of things for you:

• Capturing that they're a subscriber
  • Capturing when they opted in

Then, your choice campaigns could be based on in time frame: today instead of filled out form.

If you do this, you'd also need to set up a campaign to NULL their time/date field if they opt out of the mailing.