6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 4:47 PM by 3dee059dbd584a601ecee328157d496cabd89f19

Engagement by company name or account

Hi community, I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on how to figure out engagement by account - I don't mean reports from engagement or nurture streams. I know that I may need to cross reference a few reports in order to achieve this, but let's say I want to see how much a prospect company, ABC company, has engaged with us in the last 3 months (ie. downloading a piece of content, submitting a demo form, click through rates in an email, page visits etc).

Do I run a report and filter by each individual company we're targeting in order to achieve this? I'd like to use this to show how much we are penetrating and advancing our existing opportunities with prospect companies who are engaging with marketing content -- and use this learning to make data-driven marketing decisions on how we can advance existing opportunities or create new ones.

Thank you in advance for your help!
      -Reyna

• Re: Engagement by company name or account
          Digital Pi

You should look at Engagio as that is exactly what that does.  Otherwise you would have to accomplish that manually company by company looking at lead score as a surrogate. 

• Re: Engagement by company name or account
            Allen Pogorzelski

Hi Reyna,

I had that exact same problem last year in my previous company (Jasper), and it was a bear.  The sales team didn't believe in ABM tools, so we didn't have one, but I still wanted to show how my campaigns were influencing my key buyer personas (business buyers and technical buyers, director-level and above, in our Top 200 target accounts). It wasn't easy, but here are the steps I took:

1. I first normalized the names of all of my 200 target accounts (e.g., "General Motors" = "GM", "GMC", etc.). There isn't any fuzzy match in MKTO or SFDC, so I ended up using email domains to do this.  This wasn't ideal, though, since big companies like GE can have lots of different domains. I created a custom field for this.

2. I then normalized the company names for leads and contacts in the same fashion based on email domain. You'll need to eyeball this a few times to make sure you're not missing anyone, particularly if your accounts are global. Our sales team wasn't in the habit of converting leads to contacts, so we had lots of leads that weren't associated with accounts.  We couldn't just manually do this for the sales team in SFDC because we had a very complex, multinational account structure. 

3.  We rarely had Job Level filled out, and we hadn't asked for it in our forms. To get just Director level and above people I created a bunch of keyword filters on job title.  I ended up with about 50 to do a fair job of it.

4. We didn't ask for Job Function in our forms either, so mapping these to buyer personas was really difficult too. There were too many weird titles (e.g., lots of company-branded keywords) to just create a report with keyword filters, but once I got through the first 3 steps I was only looking at a couple of hundred names. My offshore team took a pass, but I ended up manually classifying them myself.

4. Creating reports on activity, by email address, was straightforward, though. I assigned a point system for these based on our lead scoring system and mapped then against my leads.

Shameless plug:  I shared this exact problem about a year ago with Ed King, who founded Openprise, and he automated that process through a workflow engine and a series of data catalogs . I thought it was a big enough problem that I decided to join his company a couple of months ago. You can do a lot of the same thing without a separate tool, as I did, but it was a lot of work to get it right, and had to be manually reviewed every time I wanted to update it.

Here's a heatmap of campaign penetration by job function, job level, and buyer persona, for target accounts the way I do it now:

Heatmaps.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful