Googlebots associated with leads

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Googlebots associated with leads

I was looking through some leads the other day and ended up finding that I have three leads whose records are associated with Googlebots. They came in at different times, but it's the oddest thing.  I'll see a flurry of Visited Web Page where the User Agent is Googlebot, then I'll see activity on some pages from FireFox or iOS or chrome, then I'll see more googlebot activity.

I checked the IP addresses associated and they all are the same and the DNS lookups I did associate them with Google.

So, how are legit leads being merged with GoogleBots?

Robb Barrett
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Googlebots associated with leads

See this recent thread: Marketo merged human and Googlebot

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

I saw that but I don't think that's the case in this matter. I don't believe any email links or links with tracking tokens have been published, and in this case it would have to happen three times for the different leads to all have the symptoms, right?

Robb Barrett
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Occam's Razor suggests the same cause. There's no way for a a bot/spider/crawler to associate with a lead than for it to crawl a URL that has ties to the lead.  An undecorated URL can't do this, and the GoogleBot doesn't have access to anything that isn't public.