You can do this:
- Export all known Marketo records, with Lead ID, Email Address and SFDC ID fields only
- Export a list of SFDC contacts that you want to delete from Marketo, with Contact ID.
- Make an operation in Excel to select only those Marketo records that are in SFDC export and save in a new CSV file.
- Import the CSV file into a static list in Marketo using "Skip New Leads and Updates" import mode
- Review the static list - these should be the records you want to delete. Make sure you check the number of records in the list and confirm they look right.
- Delete the records in static list, making sure you do NOT delete from CRM
If you have records with duplicate email addresses, this may not work 100%. You could end up with a record in the static list that has the same email address as a record you want to hide, but is in fact a different record. Given that you want to delete these records it may be ok to remove all the duplicates from Marketo. In this case you may need to repeat the steps 4-6 multiple times.
I hope this helps.
Great outline, but the main issue is that I don't have a way to identify who to delete out of Marketo. They all had a field called "Hide from Marketo" checked but it got unchecked during the SFDC migration. That is why I'm looking to see if it's possible to delete everyone out of Marketo.
There must be a way to identify such leads if you knew whom to block in the first place.
In SFDC (or Marketo) you can look at the field history and identify that group by Data Value Was Changed.
I guess you will have to figure out whom to block from Marketo in SFDC, maybe by using a backup from time before migration. Otherwise deleting and re-importing your records will not help. After you have figured it out in SFDC, the steps I outlined should work.
2 of 2 people found this helpful
If all this just happened and you do not have marketing history on all these leads you want to delete from Marketo, then you can delete them from Marketo, it will cause no harm. If this concerns only contacts, not leads, then you may delete only SFDC leads in Marketo, using the "SFDC Type IS Contact" filter. in any case, MAKE VERY SURE THAT YOU KEEP "DELETE FROM CRM = FALSE" IN THE DELETION PROCESS.
The difficulty is that the leads and contacts you want to sync will not sync again from SFDC until they are updated in SFDC. So you will have to
- Make sure that now, the contacts and leads in SFDC that should not sync again are correctly flagged as "Not To Sync" in SFDC.
- Create a "force update" field on leads and contacts in SFDC.
- with a data loader in SFDC, load a value on this field for all leads and contacts. This will create an update on all contacts and they will become eligible for sync with Marketo on next sync.
Thanks Greg! There were some additional fields that were hidden from the Marketo sync user so I'd rather just delete everyone and sync them over again now that the fields are unhidden. Nobody has activity history anyways as you said. Great advice on the "force update" field - we'll try that.