Conflicting Logic from Multiple Smart Campaigns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conflicting Logic from Multiple Smart Campaigns

Most of our programs have a smart campaign to attribute the acquisition program when a lead is created by filling out a form.  For example:

Program 1 - On-demand webinar with a form

• Trigger: Fills out form is "on-demand webinar A"
  • Flow: Attribute acquisition program to "On-demand Webinar A"

Program 2 - Google Adwords where you click on a PPC ad with a custom URL that syncs with the hidden fields (lead source and lead type) on "on-demand webinar A" form

• Trigger

pastedImage_2.png

• Flow: Attribute acquisition program to "Google Adwords"

Here both programs are triggered.  So which program gets the attribution?

Thanks!

Brenda.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Conflicting Logic from Multiple Smart Campaigns

whichever one is triggered earlier and finishes first.

So are you saying that I could click through on an Ad, visit a page, then fill out the webinar registration, but also get stamped as an AdWords lead and get sent to another program?

If so, you really need to consider the Offer-Channel method to setup programs in Marketo as Asset distribution instead of trying to tag Programs as Channel credits. You can't have it both ways. Look up the channel-offer revenue attribution method on google. You should find the articles.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Conflicting Logic from Multiple Smart Campaigns

Thanks, Josh!

I googled and found an article that you wrote. 😃 12 Steps to Setting Up Your Marketing Attribution in Marketo

Also found this article helpful: http://perkuto.com/blog/marketing-automation/marketing-attribution-model-for-marketing-automation#.V....

Will look into Offer-Channel method more!  In the mean time, we are looking at first touch attribution and have hidden fields to grab utm parameters on the custom URL.  Since the Adwords (Program 2) is capturing lead source, I changed the smart campaign logo of Program 1 to include filter-lead source is empty.  That way there isn't a program acquisition conflict.