Definitive documentation for responsive email design?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitive documentation for responsive email design?

Hey all,

I am wondering if any definitive documentation exists for best practices in generating responsive emails. There have been several posts about this, but many are old, "assumed answered", and no responses really answer the question - they just link to third party Launchpoint solutions and templates. Templates are not helpful in my opinion, because it is very difficult to learn why and how things are constructed by just copying someone's code and trying to modify it.

As Marketo users are increasingly dependent upon designing mobile-friendly emails, I would hope that it could be in the plans for Marketo to provide some clear documentation on this. For instance, what is the importance of the body[yahoo] code that came with our pre-built default email templates?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Definitive documentation for responsive email design?

Hi Ryan,

Some answers here: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/stop_yahoo_mail_from_rendering_your_media...

And here: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/industry-news/yahoo_mail_now_supports_media_queries

I think I would rather refer to litmus or email-on-acid for info about how to build responsive templates in general. What I would love to have from Marketo is what is NOT supported by Marketo, in anything and potential workarounds.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg.

I guess you're right - no need to have Marketo provide the docs - I guess I've just been staring at that code that came with my templates for so long without any explanations of what they're doing.

Also fwiw, the email templates that came with our Marketo build had incorrect code in the meta viewport tag:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1; maximum-scale=1.0"/>

Had to be fixed to:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1.0"/>

Anonymous
Not applicable

One other thing - is there really no "mobile" preview mode when building email templates? How is it possible that is not a feature yet?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ryan,

In fact, as consulting company, we often have to produce templates for our customers. We never reuse Marketo templates, although they have been very useful to learn at the beginning. We have developed a whole framework of components that we have uploaded as snippets in Litmus builder. When we produce a template, we can immediately test it in Litmus, before incorporating it to Marketo.

-Greg