1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 10:57 AM by 721526708d6e7530ae0f40b5297fc5f008470061

Willing to share event email promotion best practices?

Cori Chao

This is a best practices/planning question.  Not a Marketo specific question.

We have a big annual event that we use email to promote.  I would love to hear from other companies as to how you promote your big events with email, a view into your campaign calendar for the event if you will.

How far ahead of the event do you begin sending email?

What is your email frequency like from beginning to end of the promotion period?  Do you alter the frequency depending on how much content you have to share (date announce vs keynotes vs session and speaker details?

Do you re-mail?  What is your criteria for re-mailing?

Benchmark response rates?  Or even something like we see 2X the click rate once we get within 2-3 weeks of the event...

Thank you!

• Re: Willing to share event email promotion best practices?

What meetup.com does is allow you to post things in advance (eg I suggest 1 month in advance for first message), and then they automatically have, 1 week reminder and 1 day before for a "last chance" reminder.

Where I work we use Google Calendar for the team to see when emails are going out.

I would ask my events team for more details but they are swamped so I thought I'd share what I know from my personal experience : )

Also, the events checklist below may be helpful to you. (Based on my volunteer work with the ~4,000-member SFTech4Good meetup: www.meetup.com/sfnetsquared)

//

How to Run a Great Meetup

Before the event

1. Pick a topic and date/time 2-4 months in advance (to allow for time to arrange/publicize)
            1. Usually Monday-Thursday evenings
          2. Pick a location/host
              1. Pick a provider/get a budget for food and drinks
              1. Note if building security needs a guest list or not/if walk-ins are OK
          3. Create the content for the Meetup event page
          4. If name/email/company/title is required, create an Eventbrite ticket link in addition to Meetup (since Meetup does NOT capture email addresses)
          5. Create “share page” content that people can copy paste to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, a sample email to their friends etc.
          6. Create intro slides customized to the event
                1. Introducing sponsors, about the topic, goals of the event etc.
          7. If you want to livestream/videotape the event:
                1. Get a dedicated person to videotape the event
                1. Make sure the event venue has good lighting and individual microphones for speakers (to minimize background noise)
          8. Identify what swag (if any) will need to be given out
                1. Always provide name tags
                2. Notebooks for taking notes?
          9. 2 days before: If building security needs a closed guest list / no walk-ins: close ticket sales and print attendee list
          10. 1 day before: print anything else you need for the event and make sure you have people’s phone numbers (for co-organizers, space host, A/V person etc.)
          11. Arrive 1 hour early for setup and stay for cleanup
          12. Ask the event host about how to use the projector, lights, and test microphones
          13. For food delivery, ensure there is 1 person to wait on the street for the food delivery to arrive (or direct people to a food truck)
          14. Have 1 person to handle registration
          15. Livestream and tweet the link/post to meetup page
          16. Take photos to add to social media and the Meetup page
          17. Tweet and mention speakers, facilitators, host, space, topic etc.
          18. Publish the video/livestream (if it wasn’t already published)
          19. Share photos and an event recap with relevant team members/sponsors
          20. Write a blog post about the event
          21. Submit an invoice for expense reimbursement
          22. Thank the speakers/facilitators, event space, and hosts