Custom Object Won't Link to a Field?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Object Won't Link to a Field?

I need to create a custom token that is linked to a new data field in the Marketo database I've created. For instance, Marketo already had the data point 'Sales Owner Full Name' (and it was an available token) but I now need to use 'Sales Owner Job Title' (which is not a data point in Marketo nor a current available token). First, I started by creating a 'New Custom Field' under the Field Management menu. Next I was going to create a custom object and link to that data point. But when I go to create the custom object, the new custom field I created is not an option in the 'Link Field' drop down menu.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 12.49.45 PM.png

How do I use a new data point in Marketo as a new token? I appreciate the help.

3 REPLIES 3
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Custom Object Won't Link to a Field?

If you just created the field, I would try doing a hard refresh(ctrl+f5) and pulling this up again.

That being said, this will probably be an ambiguous key, as this link will lookup against many different records and only link to one.  What's the exact link that you're trying to setup here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kenny. I tried refreshing, even logging out and back in again, although it still doesn't seem to be available for me. Perhaps the custom object is not the way to go here?

The ultimate goal is to be able to use a new custom data field as a token within our emails. My new data point is Sales Owner Job Title. When creating an email I'd like to variable input the unique sales owner job title specific to each lead. The way we've done similar variable data in the past is through tokens. Any thoughts?

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

If there will only be one value per record, this should just be a lead field and not a custom object.  Custom objects are needed when there can be more than one of something per lead.  For example, a lead would(typically) only have one First Name and Last Name, but might have many Cars.