SOLVED

First Asset Download Tracking - How to Capture Name of Link Clicked on a Web Site

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Asset Download Tracking - How to Capture Name of Link Clicked on a Web Site

We just created a field called "First Asset" for the purpose of capturing the name of the first content piece that someone downloads. There are 3 ways that an asset can be downloaded and I have solutions for the first 2 in the list below, but not the 3rd - clicking a link on a web page.

1) Fills out a form - Smart List: "Fills Out Content Form, Form is Any", Flow: Change Data Value->First Asset->{{trigger.web page}}"

2) Clicks a link in an email to an ungated asset - Smart List: "Clicks link in email, Link contains .pdf, etc.", Flow: Change Data Value->First Asset->{{trigger.link}}

3) Clicks a link on a web page to an ungated asset

Any ideas for how to capture the name of the link that someone clicks on a web page? Unfortunately, as documented, {{trigger.link}} only works on emails (I tested this to be sure, hoping it might be a documentation oversight).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: First Asset Download Tracking - How to Capture Name of Link Clicked on a Web Site

Any ideas for how to capture the name of the link that someone clicks on a web page? Unfortunately, as documented, {{trigger.link}} only works on emails (I tested this to be sure, hoping it might be a documentation oversight).

In a Clicks Link on Web Page context, {{Trigger.Name}} is the href of the link.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: First Asset Download Tracking - How to Capture Name of Link Clicked on a Web Site

The only solution I see would be to use the forms 2.0 API and some JS dev on your web site. When visitors click the link, you JS code posts a forms 2.0 with the "first asset" field.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregoire,

Thank you. So with that solution I gather you are saying:

1) Create a Form with the field "First Asset"

2) Program the web site so that when someone clicks a link to an ungated asset, the JS code would post the name of the link to the First Asset field on the form.

Assuming that's correct, would someone need to add JS code to every applicable link?

Denise

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

Yes this is the  solution. And a skilled JS developper could develop a script that captures the clicked link and posts it. But you will need to limit the pages and the links so that the form is not posted to often (only for you relevant assets), or you will hit the limit (30 form posts per minute, if I am right). This means that the asset URLs also need to be easily identifiable.

Finally, the form will associate to the lead through the cookie, meaning it's not a 100% bulletproof solution (private browsing, for instance, might be a problem).

Sanford Whiteman​ may have a better idea, though.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

In a Clicks Link on Web Page context, {{Trigger.Name}} is the href of the link.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Sanford! You're right - that works!

It will suggest to Marketo that they add that information to this page in the product documentation:

Tokens for Interesting Moments - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Thank you, Gregoire, for referring my question to Sanford!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kudos to Marketo for responsiveness - I put in a suggestion in Product Docs where it says "How can we improve this article?" yesterday and I received a note today letting me know the documentation had been updated!