27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 8:10 AM by Michael Collins

iframe forms into Wordpress?

Carol Schumaker

How do I iframe a marketo form into Wordpress?

I would like to skip the landing page and put a Marketo form directly on our website.  Our consultant said that we would use an iframe. I haven't used one on our wordpress site before as our web dev said sometimes they don't play together well.

How do I put the form in and where do I find the embed code?

What advice could you offer on iframes?

Thanks

Carol

• Re: iframe forms into Wordpress?
          Grégoire Michel

Hi Carol,

iFrame it the worst way of doing this and should be chosen once all other solutions have been investigated.

1. There are some wordpress modules that handle Marketo form integration.
          2. You also can embed Marketo forms. (go to the form, then "form actions -> embed form"

If you really want to use an iframe, simply create a new landing page with a blank template and put the form at coordinates 0-0 (top left).

-Greg

1 of 2 people found this helpful
            Kenny Elkington

My advice would be to avoid the use of iframed forms.  They are generally more difficult to make look nice, and offer nothing over the standard form embed code other than form prefill.  You can find the normal embed code by following these directions: Embed a Form on Your Website - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Pierce Ujjainwalla

Hey Kenny,

Other than styling, which will require coding regardless of if its in an iFrame or not to truly match the parent page exactly, what is the hesitation to the iFrame method? I am curious...

Prefill is a pretty major feature requirement for forms IMO, and the fact that you cannot use the webpage constraint on the fills out form trigger will have some big implications to the setup of forms and number of forms required in Marketo.

Sanford Whiteman

Prefill is a pretty major feature requirement for forms IMO

For some, yes. In many cases, for legal reasons, it's strictly forbidden, so it isn't missed!

Nevertheless since last August I've been mentioning that I developed a cool workaround, which I even demoed at our local MUG.  Almost no one has pinged me back to show interest. This leads me to think it isn't really as major as it seems (I've responded on threads that were opened to complain about it and the OP hasn't contacted me!).

I'm sure people underestimate the inherent security risks (which my workaround doesn't share) if embedded forms were only tweaked to enable prefill (as in: that's the only change made to the code).  Let's see how awesome that would be for the owner of Malice, Inc:

• add YourCo's Munchkin code, generating a fresh 1st-party cookie
                    • get the lead's email address with a friendly form
                    • post the form to YourCo's Marketo instance, associating the cookie
                    • embed one of YourCo's forms, hidden of course, and grab any prefilled fields
                    • post the prefilled fields to Malice's db

Granted, this process can be simulated now with the assistance of server-side code (which is kind of why prefill makes me feel icky even now).  But being able to do this solely client-side makes this abuse much harder to catch.  You're essentially having leads hack themselves: all the actions are originating from the lead's machine, as opposed to from an intermediate server.  Of course there's still a server out there collecting the data, but that could be just putting stuff on a DMCA-protected Pastebin type site.

So you need to do more than simply letting lead data flow offsite, you need measures like origin verification against a user-maintained list of allowed domains (the same thing that could be done with Munchkin, but hasn't yet).

But before "prefill everywhere," what I'd rather have is the option for more secure self-service.  A passcode -- maybe just a 4-digit PIN, we don't need to approach this with ultimate seriousness, and anything is better than nothing -- required for reads and writes, and email confirmation before a lead is activated.  I know for most marketers this would seem punitive, but I also come from the financial sector where even salespeople get creeped out by unauthenticated self-service. The counterargument is made that if the data is considered updateable by the lead, by definition it isn't a corporate secret.  That's true: if I let somebody view and modify "their" age and annual income, it's not like I'm leaking the lead scoring that goes along with that.  But unless you make sure that you never prefill any PII, you're leaking a combination of data that a lot of malicious people would loooove to get their hands on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Pierce Ujjainwalla

You have legal requirements not to prefill information? Not sure I see the correlation to we're talking about here. There are many other ways to satisfy that requirement... and legal almost always ruins a good user experience!

Sanford Whiteman

I have clients in many industries, from highly regulated (finance) to largely unfettered (book publishing). And I see a wide range of reactions to form prefill, from "it's cool" to "kill it with fire."  I'm illustrating that prefill as a "major" feature requirement for forms is not universal and that those "kill it with fire" reactions could explain the low interest I've seen in my workaround.

Pierce Ujjainwalla

Personally I've never had a client request to turn off prefill - but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. To bring us back to the original discussion, Marketo form embed does not natively support prefill, hence the table we produced.

Sanford Whiteman

To bring us back to the original discussion, Marketo form embed does not natively support prefill, hence the table we produced.

Of course, your empty box for prefill is totally correct!  It's the unchecked boxes for Hide form if known visitor and Use fills out form trigger, filter that are incorrect.

BTW, my critique of your table was milder than you took it to be.  It's obviously awesome for people to produce documentation where Marketo has a gap and I thank you for that.  As a deeply invested user of embedded forms, despite all their foibles, I saw 2 unchecked boxes (plus boxes for conversion and A/B that seem more grey-area or N/A) and for me the that tipped the balance toward misleading. If your primary reason for building the table was to highlight the lack of prefill, then it isn't misleading in that respect.

Pavel Plachky

There is a free WordPress plug-in that should provide the pre-fill functionality. See WordPress › Marketo Forms and Tracking « WordPress Plugins

Ayan Talukder

We currently iframe our forms that are input into a landing page to match the styling of our website with CSS.

If we embed the forms, what would be the best method in pulling in the CSS styling? Would we have to host a CSS xml file and input it on each page?

Grégoire Michel

HI All,

So if we had Form 2.0 prefill when embedding , it would simplify everyone's life, would'nt it ?

-Greg

Michael Collins

err...I guess this is attempting to be helpful - so I need some help...

I DO want to prefill forms on my website, so until now I thought Iframe was the way to go - in fact the ONLY way to go?

When I mentioned this to the web agency designing the website, they weren't too convinced...they had questions over where on the page the iframe would sit, and how they would be able to control the size of the iframe/forms if we had different sets of fields required for different forms...

I am doing this NOW, so ideas for the future are great - but this will all be done and finished before that functionality comes along I am sure - so I must make a decision now...