Smart Campaign within Program within Stream

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Smart Campaign within Program within Stream

I have two Stream questions:

1. If I use a Program in a Stream rather than simply dragging the emails into the Stream, will the Smart Campaigns within the Program filter the leads in that Stream? So, for example, let say I have Program A, which contains Email A. I also have Smart Campaign A that says anyone that is a member of a certain list will not receive email communications. This will be active within the Stream, right?
  2. Also, let's say I want to kick off a new Stream with Emails A, B, C and D. Until now, I had another batch Program set up for this same content (previously built as Web Content), and I've decided to create a Stream for it instead within a Nurture Program. I want to get everyone going in this new Stream that has ever filled out the Landing Page A from the batch Program (which corresponds with Email A). I want to start them with Email B in the Stream, so I'd like to set up a rule to say that anyone who has filled out > Form Title A (which corresponds with Landing Page A) will not receive Email A. How do I do this? With a Smart Campaign within the Program I've dragged into the Stream?

Hopefully this makes sense. Let me know if any clarification is needed, and thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Marisa

13 REPLIES 13
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Smart Campaign within Program within Stream

Hi Marisa,

When you have a Program in a stream you choose a smart campaign is the actual piece of "content" in the stream.  When a lead Is sent this "content" they're really just being sent to the smart campaign, and they'll be processed through it as normal.  This means that they'll still have to qualify for all of the filters on the smart list before they're pushed into the flow of the campaign.

As for your second question.  There are two things to understand.

1. Leads who have received an email from any source in your instance before will not be sent that same email through an engagement program.  The program automatically filters those leads from receiving content they've had before.

2. Content priority is set by its position in the stream.  If you want Email B to be sent first, then it should be first in the Stream.  Leads will always start with the first piece of content they've never received, and move down the stream from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

John

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Thanks, John. Here's the thing though, I recreated the emails in a nurture program because I didn't know I could use emails from other program types in my stream. So as far as the Marketo machine knows, these are totally new emails, which is why I was thinking I needed to build out a smart campaign.

Besides that, they haven't received the email. I have four landing pages that are all related and in a certain order that were previously built as batch campaigns in another program. I rebuilt this all in a nurture program so that I could build out a stream for it instead, which is how it should have been built to start with, but this is my first time building a stream so I didn't realize it at the outset. I want to put everyone who's filled out any of the previous 4 landing pages into this stream to be sent the other three emails to the landing pages they have not been to. Marketo is not going to know which email they each need without me setting up a smart campaign to specify that some people get Emails A, B and D, and others get Emails B, C and D, and so on.

Do you see what I'm saying?

John_Clark1
Level 10

I understand, and if you have that many paths, or forks in the logic, then it would be better to create smart campaigns to send the correct emails to the correct leads. With so many different emails and different groups needing to be sent specific emails, the only way to control that all is by using smart campaigns.

A nurture program is meant to be kind of a set-it-and-forget-it type thing.  You set up the nurturing emails, and then you put leads in and they get a steady drip of content.

Could you set up the nurture program for your new leads that have never received any of it, and then use smart campaigns to send the correct content to the rest?

John

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Dang it. But I see what you're saying. I was trying to set it up (retroactively) as set it and forget it, but it sounds like that's really only going to work for leads that come through from here forward.

So then if that's the case, here's where I'm at now:

• I have 4 emails lined up that invite people to visit 4 correlating landing pages.
  • All 4 of these landing pages are accessible in places other than via these emails.
  • I'd like the entrance trigger to be when any one of these 4 forms are filled out.
    • How do I set up a rule then to say that for everyone who has filled out form/landing page #3, they are subsequently not sent email #3 either (because it would be a duplicative invitation)?
John_Clark1
Level 10

The only way to have logic like this in an Engagement Program would be to use smart campaigns/Programs in your stream.  So instead of having four emails in the stream you would have four programs, each with a smart campaign setup to send one of the emails.  The stream would send the leads to your smart campaigns, and the smart lists of those campaign would include a Not Filled Out Form filter.  The campaign for email 3 would include a Not Filled Out Form > Form 3 filter.  All of your leads will go from the stream to the campaigns, and they'll be filtered from receiving the email if they've already filled out the form for that specific campaign.

John

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Yes yes yes yes yes. This is what I was looking for!

Ok, so for clarification, when I build this, I don't drag the email into the stream, I drag the entire program into the stream, correct? And then I schedule the cadence on the entire stream rather than scheduling it within the program?

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

What if my program looks like this?

pastedImage_1.png

Should it only have one smart campaign, email, form and landing page per program instead for the streams?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks great to me. This what we do

John_Clark1
Level 10

If you want logic for each email, then you'll have to have one campaign per email.  You should be able to have all of the campaigns under a single program though.