How to delete an Overridden token?

Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

How to delete an Overridden token?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how you can remove an overridden token?

Trying to remove it gives me the following error: "Token is already in use and cannot be deleted". Since there is a fallback value this shouldn't matter.

11 REPLIES 11
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: How to delete an Overridden token?

Hi Stijn,

This is a known bug. I know Marketo is working on it. I do not know when the patch will be available. We have a couple of pending tickets on this and I suggest you open one as well.

This happens when the local token was created before the folder one.

As a workaround, you can rename the local one, and the inherited one will reappear. We have quite a few programs with tokens named "To Be Deleted #x"

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the idea of renaming the local tokens until the bug is fixed. Problem is we can't even rename them. I get the same error that I do when trying to delete...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Farser,

Can you share a screen shot ?

-Greg

David_Gallaghe2
Level 5

I typically run into this deletion problem if I clone a program that has an overridden token already in place. If a token is used in an email and/or landing page, I cannot delete the token even if it is removed from the assets. BUT any tokens that are overridden and used in triggers and flows can be easily deleted and restored to their inherited value...

Just my 2¢

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stijn, this is a bug. If you add the My Token to the parent My Token Sheet, you have the ability to take the delete action against the My Token and the My Token will move back to the Inherited section of the My Token sheet. When adding the My Token to the local token sheet and then creating an additional my token with the same type and same name will create an situation where you cannot revert the overridden my token to the inherited my token. We are working on providing a solution for this, but as a interim solution for your specific use case, you can remove that token from the asset that is using the my token, delete the my token, then re add the my token at the parent level and the standard inheritance/delete model will work as expected.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Franck,

This bug has been here for a long time. Any ETA on a fix?

-Greg

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Frank Passantino​ - may I push Grégoire Michel question, please: Any ETA on the fix?

The inability to delete overridden tokens is extremely painful us at the moment, as we have gone through a merger and need to change a lot of high level folder tokens, which - unfortunately - have in some cases been overridden on program level. That forces us to change the overridden token values as well, thus perpetuating a flawed setup into eternity.

Brent_Baker1
Level 2

I had to change the name of the token in the email(s) so it was not in use, delete the token from the local program, then rename the token in the email(s) back to what it was.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Just wanted to mention that this error still lives in the new UX:

2018-06-12 13_42_48-Next-Gen UX.png

Dear Marketo, please allow us to delete overridden tokens to revert them back to their inherited state.