SOLVED

Sending SFDC Account or Contact team members emails instead of sending to record owner

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending SFDC Account or Contact team members emails instead of sending to record owner

Hello, I know a similar question has been answered so I will elaborate on our use case.

Our Contacts are ALL owned by a dummy user (integration user) and Person Accounts are 70% owned by dummy users (these are Client records. 2 record types: Client and Prospect). The dummy users are used for Integrations to our master database.

That said, since none of our Contacts nor Person Accounts have an actual "real" user as the record owner, we would like to leverage the Contact Team and Account Team.

Here is one more thing. All our users are also created in Salesforce as Contact records. We have 2 records types: Employees (our users) and Standard (our clients)

I am running out of ideas as the business case is to send an email or alert to all users who are included on the Contact Team or Account Team. I read elsewhere that you can create a custom look-up field and workflow and such to possibly send an email alert to that particular user of the record (using Token)

Since we have all our users set up as Contact records and all of their email addresses are on the Email field on the record, could we build a Smart Campaign and do the following...

1. Smart List to pull list of only the employees (Contact records) information.

2. Call Campaign or Schedule Campaign (whatever program we are sending for either Contacts or Client Person Accounts)

3. Here is where I am stuck...build a trigger where we use the Contact Team or Account team and reference the "email" field on the team member..

3. Send email alert to the users that are team members of the Contact of Person Account.

Something I may be missing, which could be confusing the folks here. So may be the Smart List should pull list of employees (again remember our employees are also created as Contact records) who are team members of Contacts or Person Accounts included in a program.

Any thoughts or ideas? I think the big challenge here is how can we send an email to multiple people. I think the token use case only really works if we are sending to one particular team member...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Sending SFDC Account or Contact team members emails instead of sending to record owner

HI Chris,

What you need to do is use the "Send alert" flow step as it enables to send an email to someone about a lead, the "someone" not being the lead.

The trick is to send the alert not to the contact or account owner but to a list of people who will be provided through a token as here :pastedImage_1.png

How this leaves you with the responsibility to create a field call for instance "Account TeamEmail" and fill it in with emails separated with commas.

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Sending SFDC Account or Contact team members emails instead of sending to record owner

HI Chris,

What you need to do is use the "Send alert" flow step as it enables to send an email to someone about a lead, the "someone" not being the lead.

The trick is to send the alert not to the contact or account owner but to a list of people who will be provided through a token as here :pastedImage_1.png

How this leaves you with the responsibility to create a field call for instance "Account TeamEmail" and fill it in with emails separated with commas.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so I don't know if this is the answer here but let me try to elaborate on what you said. You may be talking about one or the other:

1. Create a AccountTeamEmail field in Marketo

a) Enter emails of people in an Account Team

--Challenge: So this is not dynamic at all. Obviously we don't want to put the emails of all team members. Every Contact/Person Account may have different team members. Or one team member may be associated to multiple Contact/Person Account

b) This however is useful if we need to send email alerts to associates who are not Salesforce users (thanks)

Again the challenge is to send emails to all the team members of specific Contact/Account. Are we not able to build a Smart List of all Contacts (our employees) who are listed as a team member on Contact/Account? Then send an email to those on the Smart List?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI again Chris,

You cannot create links between leads in Marketo, so no, you cannot link a Marketo lead (client) with a Marketo lead (user).

You need to build this in SFDC, so you ned to create the field AccountTeamEmails in SFDC first and populate it in SFDC. There are multiple ways to do this, either using the account team members in SFDC or create a custom table to link your SFDC contacts (Clients) with your SFDC contacts (Users) but at the end of the day, you will need some APEX coding to populate the AccountTeamEmails field.

Once populated, it will flow to Marketo where you will be abel to use it in alerts.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Gregoire, thanks for your response. So if we were to leverage using Account Team or Contact Team, how would we do this? The first response you sent me seems like we would be building a string field called TeamMember in Marketo (where were type out user's/team member's email address).

The issue here is that this is not dynamic. We don't want to send emails to all the team members. And I don't think it would make sense to create TeamMember email fields for every unique Account/Contact (obviously there will be different team members on each record, so this is where we want to be able to utilize constraint or trigger to ensure that only team members on a certain Account/Contact which has a score of 100 receives an email (may be use Campaign API here?).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Chris,

I think you are confusing things.

You create the field in SFDC, NOT in Marketo, because in Marketo you will not have the mechanics to populate it. in the filed, you put whatever list of emails you want, for EACH contact(Client). So each contact Client will have a list of email to alert when needed. Marketo will just inherit the value of this field.

The second issue is to decide when to send an alert. This can be done in Marketo, using whatever trigger/Filter you see fit. such as when the score reaches the value of 100.

-Greg