Remove group of leads from Marketo and not Salesforce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove group of leads from Marketo and not Salesforce

Hello, I'd like to remove a group of leads from Marketo, but not Salesforce. They are inactive in Salesforce or the email is invalid, so I want to keep them in Salesforce to retain information, but remove them from Marketo. If I select false for "delete from CRM" it doesn't seem to delete leads from Marketo. Is there any way to remove these smart lists from Marketo, but not Salesforce?

16 REPLIES 16
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Remove group of leads from Marketo and not Salesforce

Hi Kate,

You can delete them from Marketo and select the "Delete from CRM = False", but yes, they will keep coming back as soon as something changes on them in SFDC. Furthermore, is these leads reactivate later on you would have lost all the past history.

The best solution is not to delete them but to deactivate them and erase their email address in SFDC. This will leave them in Marketo, but with an empty email address. You can them suspend them in Marketo. You will also be able to exclude them from smart campaign with a "email address in not empty" filter. And because the email address in empty, they will not count against your Marketo license.

Best regards,

Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm interested in doing the same thing. Is there a way to mass remove email addresses from leads in Marketo?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Emily Carr,

Yes. Use a change data value with a New value = NULL. (works for any editable field, BTW)

-Greg

Diane_LoBiondo1
Level 1

Hi Greg,

Quick additional Q related to this string....will this free up contact counts within Marketo?  We have a lot of "inactive" leads that we wanted to purge so we can free up quota counts to use with our Workspace partitions.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Diane,

AFAIK, no, suppressing the email will not remove the leads from the count. My understanding is that Marketo counts all leads that can reached by at least 1 way, so you would need to remove all phone numbers and office/personal addresses.

As soon as contacts in the CRM become inactive, you may consider just deleting them in Marketo, but not from the CRM (delete lead, with a delete from CRM: NO option) if they have no past significant activity (such as filled out forms or program success). This will really free some space in your DB.

-Greg

Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

I just want to confirm... if a lead doesn't have an email address, it won't be counted toward our limit according to our license?

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Danielle, I'm pretty sure this is not correct. Greg clarified on March 2nd and said that any records with a method of contact would be counted against the limit. Would be great if someone at Marketo could chime in here because this is something that everyone would likely benefit from! We have thousands of contacts without email addresses because our sales team likes adding people to accounts in SFDC.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Dory,

I had it recently confirmed by a sales rep @ Marketo.

-Greg

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

So just to confirm, those without an email are not counted? Or those without phone, address or email aren't counted?