20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 11:59 AM by Justin Cooperman

Building modular email templates with snippets

Our central services provides a set of modular snippets (preheader, header, body, footer) for different mailing/engagement systems (html).

I do not find a way in Marketo to build a basic skeleton where I can insert snippets which are editable. I tried the following approach:

1. I created a basic html skeleton with html header (media queries etc) and body (with sections "add a headline" etc.) with name <html skeleton template>
      2. I created some snippets (span's with class mkteditable and ids), e.g. <headline>, <intro_text>
      3. I created an email and selected the template <html skeleton template>
      4. I tried to replace the default section "add a headline" (see 1) with a well defined and formatted snippet <headline> (see 2), then I wanted to edit the snippet text without any luck

I assumed that the snippet inheritance will be cut automatically, but I learned that I have to insert the snippet in the email > go to the design studio > clone the snippet and modify the text from the snippet inserted in the email.

Is there any other way of building modular templates?

When I am able to change the snippet default text or image within the email directly, it would be a perfect approach, but switiching to the Design studio and cloning the snippet to me is not a good approach to scale Marketo up within the company with 50+ different persons creating emails.

What is your approach?