24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 4:01 PM by John Clark

Possible to add which form was filled out to a smart list?

Marisa Rybar

Each week, I look at who has filled out a form by updating the date range on a smart list I have created in the Lead Database. The only qualification is that a lead has filled out any form. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to add a column to the leads report that shows WHICH form each lead filled out. It seems like it should be pretty straight-forward without having to go one by one through each of my landing pages to try to manually map it out.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thank you!

Marisa

• Re: Possible to add which form was filled out to a smart list?
          John Clark

Hi Marisa,

This could be done with a custom field and a token.

First, you would create a new custom field to hold the name of the form.  You could then set up a trigger campaign with a Fills Out Form > Is Any trigger.

The flow for the campaign would be a Change Data Value flow step, and you would choose the new custom field you created.  The new value for that field would be {{trigger.name}}, and this token would populate with whatever the name of the form is that they filled out.

You could then add the custom field to your smartlist view and you'd be able to see the most recent form each lead had filled out.  Keep in mind though that this will only populate for leads filling out forms after you activate the trigger campaign, and that campaign will overwrite the custom field each time leads fill out a form.  You'll always see the most recent form name in that field.

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Marisa Rybar

Thanks, John!

I'm finally now getting around to trying this out, and I have a question. Are you suggesting that I create a new custom field for each form where the name of the form is the name of the custom field? Or do I create a custom field that is named "Form Title", for which I add the form title in a text field on the form itself?

I really appreciate your help on this!

Best,

Marisa

John Clark

You would only need to create a single custom field.  The trigger campaign you set up would trigger anytime a lead fills out a form and populate the name of the form they filled out into that custom field.  This is done by the Change Data Value flow step and {{trigger.name}} token.  That token populates with the name of the form the lead filled out whenever they trigger the campaign.  Does that make sense?

John

Sanford Whiteman

Or do I create a custom field that is named "Form Title", for which I add the form title in a text field on the form itself?

This is what John meant.  I wouldn't call it Form Title, though.  I'd call it something like Last Form Title (if you are not preventing people from overwriting it on subsequent fillouts) or First Form Title (if you do choose to block updates).

Marisa Rybar

Thanks guys. I'm still a little unclear though. (Sorry, I'm new at this.)

First part of my question:

So, when I'm creating my New Custom Field (as seen below), Sanford, you're suggesting I create this with the Name "Last Form Title." (By the way, I want to track all of the forms people fill out, not just the most recent one. Would you still call it this?) And I would create it as a String type, correct?

Second part of my question:

Then when I'm creating the form, I add the custom field. (Which I've tried here below.) Here's where I really get lost though.

1. How do I specify the form title as the response to field?

2. How can I hide this from prospects who are filling it out? (It would look really tacky for the landing page to show the form names on them.)

John Clark

You're right about the custom field being a string.

The issue with trying to track all of the forms a lead has filled out, is that you can't really do this simply with a single field.  The method I'm describing would give you the most recent form they filled out, and all of the rest of the form fill out activities would live on their lead record.  This custom field you're creating would get over-written each time they filled out a new field.

For the second part of your question, you can add the custom field to every form you create and set it to a Hidden type field on the form.  You would then edit the value for the hidden field to use a default value every time the form is submitted.  This is a value you would give it.

The other option is to have a smart campaign automatically populate this custom field whenever any form is filled out.  The smart list for your campaign would be a Filled Out Form trigger > Is Any.  This will fire anytime any form is submitted.  The flow for that campaign would be like below.

This flow step would fill the custom field with whatever the name of the form was that triggered the campaign.  You can see more about the trigger tokens here Tokens Glossary - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Does that make more sense?

Marisa Rybar

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, ok. I think I'm understanding a little better now. And this is an either/or situation, right? I don't need to do the trigger campaign if I've already set default value on the hidden form field, right?

John Clark

Correct, but you'll need to set that custom field up on all of your forms, now and in the future, if you want it to populate for all of them that way.

The campaign will populate it for you without having to put the field on every form.

Marisa Rybar

Ok, I think we're getting there. I definitely feel solid about the hidden form field possibilities and restrictions.

For the trigger campaign option, I have a couple more questions (thank you so much for all your time by the way!!!):

1. Clarification: If I schedule a trigger campaign, I can build just one for all of my programs, correct?

2. If I build a trigger campaign, do I need to include the hidden field on each form? (I understand that there is a step I don't need to do if I do the trigger campaign, but I'm not clear if that means that I simply don't have to set the default value or if I can leave the field off of the form entirely.)

3. I haven't worked with trigger tokens before, so this may be a really dumb question: Is {{trigger.name}} always in reference to a form title?

4. Pending the answer to #3, do I need to set anything on the trigger token to specify that I want the form title?

John Clark

You're welcome!

1.  Yes, one campaign, once activated, would work for any form fill out in your instance, no matter where the form lives, in Design Studio or an program.

2  No, you wouldn't need the custom field on your forms because the trigger campaign would capture the name of the form and populate the field after fill out.

3. The {{trigger.name}} token will populate with whatever the name of the asset is that triggered the campaign.  If it's a Filled Out Form trigger, then yes, it will be the name of the form.  If you're using that token in a campaign with a Visited Web Page trigger though, then the token would populate with the name of the webpage that was visited.  The token takes its value from the trigger, and it will always be the name of the asset (i.e. form name, website, etc)

Marisa Rybar

By George, I think I've got it!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This makes total sense now.

You are a lifesaver. Thank you!!!

Marisa Rybar

Hi John,

Ok, I've got a question on this now. The reporting seemed to be working fine last week except that there were a few forms that were being used on several landing pages, which was making it hard for me to know which landing page they were actually filling out. So, I went through and cloned some forms so that each landing page has its own form so that I can see which LPs are being filled out.

Now this week I'm looking at my report, and most of the fields for Last Form Title are blank. When I click into the lead detail, it says, "Skipped 'Do Nothing' was set for this choice" next to Change Data Value where the Campaign Name is Fills Out Any Form: Form Title Trigger. The few leads that do have a value under Last Form Title had filled that form out last week and were return visitors, so the form they filled out this week did not get logged.

I just checked the smart campaign, and it looks like everything is still set up correctly as we had discussed last week where the "Fills Out Form" smart list is [Full List of Forms] and the Flow step is Change Data Value > If Last Form Title > Is > ... wait a second. There's something weird here. There are only 6 form titles available to me here. Is this why this is being skipped? Have I missed a step? Why don't I see all of my form titles here?

Capture.JPG

John Clark

Hi Marisa,

You said you had cloned some forms, which would mean they would need to be added to the list of 6 you had in your campaign already, right?  I might be off on that, it's Friday and my brain isn't running on all cylinders today.

John

Marisa Rybar

Yep, I would like to add them to this list, plus it's missing a few other earlier ones. However, the "Add New Values" drop down in the Multiple Value Chooser is not giving me any other options besides these six. Do I really need to manually type all of them in here? It seems odd to me that it's not automatically populating them into my options in the drop down list, so I'm wondering if I've done something wrong in their form set up.

John Clark

Hi Marisa,

What does your smart list look like for this campaign?  You said you wanted this to work for any form in your instance, right?  If so, then you wouldn't need any kind of choice in the flow step.  The campaign would just be Filled Out Form > Is Any and then in the flow, Change Data Value > Last Form Title = {{trigger.name}}

The choice in the flow step isn't needed because it doesn't matter what the form name is, the campaign should put it in the Last Form Title field no matter what, right?

John

Marisa Rybar

Yeah, so I've got the smart list set up with Form Name > Is Any, but I just realized I had it set up to specify a web page, for which I had selected all. (I think my thinking on this last week was that I might be able to view the landing page associated with the form, which I was not able to do...however, last week I was also able to view this report just fine, so I'm not sure if this is the problem.) I've just removed the web page constraint > for which I'd added all.

What if in the Flow Step I chose If Last Form Title > Is Not Empty instead of trying to select the form titles themselves, which I'm only getting 6 options? Do you think this would work? I seems worth a shot, yeah?

John Clark

The only problem I see with that is that new leads may never have had that field populated, so that field would be empty, and they'd never run through this campaign.  Honestly, I don't think the choice in the flow step is necessary if you're wanting this to work for all forms in the instance anyway.

John

Marisa Rybar

Ok John, you've officially lost me now. LOL.

For this smart campaign, I need to have a flow step that specifies what happens with the last form title. This is my only flow step, and it is making me choose something. If I don't do this, I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I'm not clear either why new leads would never have the field populated. Please help!

The first image below is how I've had it set up. The second image is just the default, which again, is only giving me the option to select 6 forms (I have a lot more than that, both new and old). I'm totally lost on what is going on here.

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

John Clark

Ok, the reason the drop down is only giving you the 6 options is because those are the only values currently in that field in your database.  The new form names you cloned have not been populated in that field ever, so the suggestions for the drop down don't see it.

That's ok though, it doesn't matter what values are there now, and it doesn't really matter what value is in the that field when a lead triggers this campaign because this field is going to be overwritten with whatever form they filled out to trigger the campaign, right?

So your first image is using a choice to decide whether or not to write the token value to that field based on what value is in the field to begin with, or based on whether the field has a value (and isn't empty), but we want the token value written to the field even if it already has some other value, right? We want to know the most recent form they filled out, which is what the token will write in the field.  We don't care about the second most recent form.

We also don't care if the field is empty or not.  It doesn't matter if it's empty because we're going to write the token value there no matter what.

The only thing the flow step has to do when the campaign's trigger fires is write the token value to the Last Form Title field. Period.  No choices about whether it should be written or not, it's always going to be written, every time.

So your flow step should look like this.