Source, Medium from user session to update in Lead activity

Manish_Khemani1
Level 3

Source, Medium from user session to update in Lead activity

Hello there,

Is it possible to pick up the values from utm parameters of our web pages (which also have the munchkin code) and store them in some fields within the lead activity?

We need to know the source, medium & campaign names from the utm parameters that drove the user to our site for that particular session; but we need this for every session the user has on our site.

Regards,

Manish Khemani

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Source, Medium from user session to update in Lead activity

Sure. I've written about this here:

Marketing Attribution Setup ChecklistMarketing Rockstar Guides

Keep in mind this only works if the Lead is Known and you have a script OR if the lead fills out a form.

Manish_Khemani1
Level 3

Thanks Josh,

The information was useful, I have also noted that it this will work only fill a form is filled and the lead is known, but my requirement was slightly different. Probably i did not explain it that elaborately;

We have a form and a pdf behind it. After the form is filled the user is shown a thank you page along with the pdf. For some reason, If the user comes back, the form is not shown and he is directly taken to the thank you page and pdf is shown in a separate tab. The user might return through a different source & medium either via a link that contains utm parameters or via, say Google Organic search the next time he visits. And my colleagues have not configured the Marketing Attribution setup. Only smart campaigns have been configured with a flow as - Add to List - where the lead gets added. Is there a way i can dump his entry to a list along with the current source, medium every time he visits our site and attempts to download the pdf?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Manish

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

For some reason, If the user comes back, the form is not shown and he is directly taken to the thank you page and pdf is shown in a separate tab.

Is this a Marketo landing page using a Marketo form?

Manish_Khemani1
Level 3

The landing page is not on Marketo. It is on our domain and it uses Marketo form in a light box.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Ah. In that case, we have something similar set up on our website and have the same issue (our script ignores showing the form to anyone who's completed it). Do you have access to whomever wrote the script?

Manish_Khemani1
Level 3

Yes Jenny,

I do have access to my fellow colleagues who have configured the smart campaigns.