How is Marketo server domain tree set up with the company domain?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is Marketo server domain tree set up with the company domain?

One of my clients has asked me to provide the domain tree for the marketo server how it is set up with the company`s domain....including sub domains and such...

I have no clue....since I am not the IT Admin. Can some one help me out?

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: How is Marketo server domain tree set up with the company domain?

Not sure I've heard of this before.

Go to Admin>Landing Pages and you'll see a couple of things:

• CNAME: go.company.com
  • Marketo's actual server name and your unique Marketo Instance ID
  • Marketo's Account String, which may be in the actual server name.

not sure that helps the client as that's an odd way to phrase this request.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I agree w/Josh, this is a strange phrasing!

If they mean "What changes do I need to make to my company's DNS for Marketo?" I'd say the answer(s) are:

• CNAMEs for landing page hostnames(s) such as landing.example.com, pages.example.com, go.example.com (for all domains you may use w/Mkto)
  • CNAME for your branding hostname such as click.example.com (you get only one of these)
  • DKIM record M1._domainkey.example.com for any hostnames from which you'll send mail (I recommend uploading your own DKIM keypair to Mkto for security)
  • SPF record for any hostnames from which you'll send mail (actually useless but still generally part of people's setup)
  • MX records for any hostnames you dedicate for use with Marketo (for example, if you send from joe@emarketing.example.com make sure emarketing.example.com can accept mail)

Then other tech matters that an IT group may also be involved with:

• DKIM keypair upload
  • SSL cert upload
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman​, do you think SPF is still useless?

SanfordWhiteman

It's not that SPF as a whole is useless, it's that adding include:mktomail.com to your SPF record is useless -- and may even be harmful -- unless you're using Marketo's branded sender feature (a paid addition to your subscription). I described the details here: http://blog.teknkl.com/your-marketo-spf-entry-doesnt-matter-unless-youre-paying-extra/

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Josh , Hi Sanford,

I have provided the detail on what to change to implement in Marketo all the stuff that is needed for set up for DNS to our customer.

Then they asked for the domain tree that shows the relationship with marketo...explaining why they need to set up 2 Cnames ...since Marketo is set up in a way to change the customer has to change both [Landing page Cname]  [EmailTrackingCNAME] to a different host name.

They want to know the relationship between the Marketo Landing pageCNAME  and The Email tracking CName  how it will be set up in to there company domain and in marketo server.   I am not sure if I am making any sense..

SanfordWhiteman

LP CNAME:

<landing pages hostname>.example.com CNAME  --> <account string from Admin-Integration-Landing Pages>.mktoweb.com

BD CNAME:

<click tracking hostname>.example.com CNAME --> <tracking link from Admin-Email>

I'm not sure if I'd call it a "tree" exactly, more like a "map" of certain Marketo functions to records in your DNS zone.