SOLVED

Making an ICS file link a different color

Go to solution
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Making an ICS file link a different color

I'm adding a "Save the Date" link to an email, but it sits within a blue box. My other link within a blue box is white in order to stand out, but I can't seem to change this particular link to be white. The difference is that it is using an ICS token, rather than just text. I tried changing the color in the span tag surrounding the token after clicking into the HTML editor, but the hyperlink is still coming out as blue when I send myself a sample email. Has anyone dealt with this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jean-Pascal_Mer
Level 4

Re: Making an ICS file link a different color

Good morning Kristen,

I've had the same issue and using the "Calendar" type token, using the <a href> code won't work, and will duplicate the token. In this example, you are linking to an .ics file directly, which definitely would work but Jeff is using a token, hence why it's not working I think.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There was a nice thread on this the other day. Just do a quick search for "ICS token"

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

I did find a nice blog entry that was written recently about linking .ics files to images rather than text: https://nation.marketo.com/blogs/marketowhisperer/2015/06/03/use-an-image-instead-of-text-for-the-ca...

This, though, doesn't really answer the question of changing the text color of an .ics hyperlink....assuming this was the article you were referring to. Do you know why we can't just directly see the .ics link in Marketo? Couldn't we use to, or am I imagining things?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same concept of using the raw URL will work for this use case also. For example:

<p><a style="color: #cc0000;" href="http://pages.gladiatorapps.com/rs/384-evm-334/373/subject.ics">Save the Date</a></p>

I imagine you can probably also add style tags for your links in the head of the email, with all the normal caveats about that approach.

Jean-Pascal_Mer
Level 4

Good morning Kristen,

I've had the same issue and using the "Calendar" type token, using the <a href> code won't work, and will duplicate the token. In this example, you are linking to an .ics file directly, which definitely would work but Jeff is using a token, hence why it's not working I think.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I can double confirm that simply using styling in a div tag which encloses the ics file doesn't work. This is really poor, to be honest - why on earth can't we style it?

I know that I could create an ics file, host it in Marketo, and then link to that file....but that's not mean to be the point of this functionality.

Phil

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had figured out a work around? I've tried wrapping the token in a <span> or a <div> but it's completely ignored by Marketo, I'm guessing it's because the token is added after the styles have been applied. Right now I'm stuck with a blue link as adding .ics links from our server won't work (Marketo turns them into dynamic links).

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

In the Hyperlink Text section of the token setup, you can put HTML.  This will go inside the A as you want.

I've tried wrapping the token in a <span> or a <div> but it's completely ignored by Marketo, I'm guessing it's because the token is added after the styles have been applied.

Well, not really. It's because an A wrapped in a SPAN is still using the default user style for As. 

adding .ics links from our server won't work (Marketo turns them into dynamic links).

I don't understand what you mean here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great, thank you I didn't know that section accepted HTML which explains the styling question.

In the Hyperlink Text section of the token setup, you can put HTML.  This will go inside the A as you want.

We used to link HTML buttons to .ics files saved on our server. Unfortunately, Marketo turns external .ics files into text files that can't be used which is a shame as I can't find a way to use our buttons linking to a Calendar item anymore.

I don't understand what you mean here.
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

In the Hyperlink Text section of the token setup, you can put HTML. This will go inside the A as you want.

So I'm stuck with one color at a time?

Boo.

Robb Barrett