SOLVED

Unique User ID on Google Analytics: Can We Synchronize with Marketo ID or Munchkins?

Go to solution
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Unique User ID on Google Analytics: Can We Synchronize with Marketo ID or Munchkins?

Hello,

we have implemented User ID on Google Analytics and are looking at collecting info from Marketo to enrich our data (dimension widening).

Is it possible to easily capture info from Marketo into GA? Should we do look up on Marketo ID or Marketo munchkins?

Cécile @ Talend

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Unique User ID on Google Analytics: Can We Synchronize with Marketo ID or Munchkins?

You'd add the value to the GA session as in User ID - Web Tracking (analytics.js)​.

As far as getting the Marketo data into your page in the first place, if it's a Landing Page, use tokens.  If it's not a Marketo LP, you'd have to use some more trickery to extract the data via API or pseudo-API.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unique User ID on Google Analytics: Can We Synchronize with Marketo ID or Munchkins?

Hi Cécile, I moved your question to a different location so you'd get a quicker reply.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

thanks! I'm kind of desperate to get an answer

SanfordWhiteman

Cécile, the Munchkin ID isn't really the same as Google's idea of a User ID because the same human (lead) can be represented by multiple Munchkin IDs.

The Marketo equivalent is going to be {{Lead.Marketo Unique Code}} (random alphanumeric/Base36) or {{Lead.Marketo Unique Name}} (looks more like the user's full name, plus numbers to avoid duplicates).

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

thanks Sanford for your comment. Do you know how I can push Marketo data via the Lead Unique Code into GA to do widening dimensions?

SanfordWhiteman

You'd add the value to the GA session as in User ID - Web Tracking (analytics.js)​.

As far as getting the Marketo data into your page in the first place, if it's a Landing Page, use tokens.  If it's not a Marketo LP, you'd have to use some more trickery to extract the data via API or pseudo-API.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is super helpful, but I have a follow up question for this.  How can I use this unique code or name to figure out the Marketo lead id or lead activity id behind it? Or can I get the lead id (even when anonymous)? My Goal is to use the Marketo Lead ID for GA User-id so I can join this data together.

SanfordWhiteman

If you want to use the Lead ID, use {{Lead.Id}} directly.  There's no reason to do any kind of lookup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently completed a project where I integrated Marketo and Google Analytics. I published an article and accompanying cheat sheet, both are available from Google Analytics-Marketo End-to-End Integration​ - I provide the info on how to merge the two using the GA Client ID and Marketo id. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stephane Hamel​ - Can you share some of the info from that document here on the site? Analytics is a hot issue these days.

MODERATOR's COMMENTS: The Cheat Sheet is gated -- so you will have to provide your email address and other information and sign up for a newsletter.