Combining trigger and filter in a smart campaign to check for two actions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining trigger and filter in a smart campaign to check for two actions

Hey all! Hoping you can help. Think it's a simple question, but I'm relatively new to all this, so let's see.

I need to automatically suspend leads when they have two emails bounce in 30 days. I want this to be a triggered campaign, so my current thought is to set this up as follows:

- Trigger: Email Bounces: is any
- Filter: Email Bounced: is any / Date of Activity: past 30 days / Min Number of Times: 2

So one bounce happening will be enough to trigger the campaign (since we want to count historic bounces not just those starting now) and the trigger will ensure that this lead has had two bounces in 30 days.

Will that work? I guess my concern is whether a bounce happening NOW will go into the lead's activity log in time to ensure the filter works. 

Or am I over-thinking it and a single trigger of Email Bounces: is any / Date of Activity: past 30 days / Min Number of Times: 2 would also do the job? Or would that need to trigger twice since the smart campaign is activated to fire?

I gues the other way out is to have this using only filters and then set it up as a batch campaign on a recurring schedule.

Anyway, apologies for rambling. Would appreciate your thoughts and advice! Thank you!
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Combining trigger and filter in a smart campaign to check for two actions

You can just do 

Email Bounces IS ANY, at least 2 times

Marketo understands that it should trigger at the second time or more times in the future. If a lead had already hit it twice, but your trigger wasn't active until after the second time, then on the third time, it will trigger.

I sometimes use this as a Batch instead that runs daily. Up to you though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining trigger and filter in a smart campaign to check for two actions

Thanks Josh! 

So just to check I've understood...

If I set up the smart campaign with a single trigger for Email Bounces, with conditions of Is Any and Min Num of Times 2, the following will apply?

Lead has not bounced before and bounces for the first time --> not triggered
Lead has bounced once before and bounces for a second time --> triggered
Lead has bounced twice or more and bounces for a third or subsequent time --> triggered

In which case, cool - a simple trigger, no filters needed. (Take your point that it could be a batch campaign instead, and will take a judgement on that as a next step.)

Thanks very much!