Tracking Original Lead Source

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Original Lead Source

Suppose I have an asset on a 3rd Party Website. When a lead clicks on the "Download Now" button, he/she gets taken to my company website and is asked to fill out a form. I want to track total leads and net new leads downloading that asset. But I'm having a hard time separating out the organic website visitors from the visitors coming from the 3rd party website. 

I've put a querystring on the 3rd party website as well as the company website, but how do I separate out the leads? What's happening is that the querystring for the leads coming in from the 3rd party website is getting overwritten by the querystring for the organic visitors.

Is there a way to track the originating point of a particular lead? Just wondering how companies tackle this problem. 
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Tracking Original Lead Source

Hi Anurag, you can use a custom hidden field on a form to capture this information, and then block that field from updates by form fillouts. The hidden field would be populated similarly to the querystring using URL parameters, but once it's populated it would stay the same value as long as you block the field updates. This way you could always know the original lead source. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Tracking Original Lead Source

Also see
http://perkuto.com/blog/marketing-automation/marketing-attribution-model-for-marketing-automation