How can I see open rate across all emails?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I see open rate across all emails?

Im looking for average open rate across all my emails. What is the best way to do this?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Re: How can I see open rate across all emails?

Hey Christina:

Taking Marketo's Email Performance report and then doing some work in Excel is going to be the easiest (and relatively unpainful, actually).

Here are some steps:
  1. Create an Email Performance report in Analytics. 
  2. Go to "Setup" and edit the time frame and emails appropriately (probably "all time" and every email in this case). 
  3. Run the report
  4. Export to CSV
  5. There are two ways to get the number you're looking for, and I'd grab both and see how different they are:

Average of averages: =(SUM(I:I))
Take the average of "% Opened" column. This is an average of averages, which isn't necessarily a good thing in a pure math sense, but if you want to weight small-number recipients more, it can be directionally helpful to see if you should segment some more or find another proxy.

Total number average: =(SUM(B:B)/SUM(H:H))
Take the total "Sent" and divide by total "Opened." This is going to be skewed pretty heavily if you have lots of operational fulfillment emails, so take it with a grain of salt. I usually group emails into like-categories, such as Lead Nurture emails, and then separate things like fulfillment emails. 

Best,

Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

I agree with Edward. Although Marketo can show you averages, I like manipulating data in Excel to further drill out results and make them easier to mail out.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marketo will show the avg if you select ALL emails in the report (top checkbox) and look at the very bottom.

Be sureyour date range is correct.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Without disagreeing with Edward and Kristen (especially about the significance of this overall open/sent number) I would say if you're only doing this one task, leaving the browser for Excel is unnecessarily cumbersome.  

For our users we've put together some JS snippets that they have bookmarked in their browser to do some quick additional calculations/appraisals.  Here's the script for the number you're talking about.  Of course this wouldn't be copy-and-pasted every time but you it's just a link on your bookmarks bar like Calc Total Open/Sent.

javascript:var SENT_CLASS='x-grid3-col-Sent',OPENED_CLASS='x-grid3-col-Opened',PARENT_CLASS='x-grid3-summary-table'; var s=document.querySelector('.'+PARENT_CLASS+' .'+SENT_CLASS).textContent.split(',').join(''); var o=document.querySelector('.'+PARENT_CLASS+' .'+OPENED_CLASS).textContent.split(',').join(''); var totalos = parseInt(+o/+s*100)/100; alert( 'Total Open/Sent = '+o+'/'+s+' = '+totalos );

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Josh that average is Open/Delivered, not Open/Sent as Edward was assuming the OP meant.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!! I got it 😉