How long should you run smart campaigns that track?

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

How long should you run smart campaigns that track?

Hello All,

Does anyone know of any best practice resources they could point me too or have any knowledge on the following:
  1. When to turn off smart campaigns that track if any opportunities were created from a email campaign?
  2. When to turn off smart campaigns that track form fill outs produced from a email campaign?
Thank you ahead of time!
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Re: How long should you run smart campaigns that track?

Hello,

for 2 we usually turn campaigns that track opened, clicked, engaged, acquired by after about 2 weeks.

In all cases, all our smart campaigns related to tracking success of activities like events, webinars, emailings are turned off at the end of the quarter. We then archive them. This process has been implemented because we were starting to see some performance issues (we have thousands of campaigns running).

Cécile @ Talend

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Cecile's method is ideal.

You can leave them on and Marketo will auto shut down after 6 months of inactivity.
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

I use the campaign manager to view all the active campaigns that I have. I think you have to look at which ones you may want to leave on longer and/or turn them into batch campaigns if they are programs people end up in. The ones that I have to do this with the most often are 3rd party sends since I can't redirect the marketo landing page. But it's always good to have an audit of all the active smart campaigns running or your system does slow down.
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Thanks for all of the replies thus far.  My question was thought of since we are looking to standardize our program structure to inhance reporting capabilities and reporting accuracy.  We are looking to be able to have a standized time for instance for a smart campaign within an Email Program send that tracks who filled out a form or how many Opportunities were generated.  

If we leave the smart campaigns going until there is no activity within 6 months we will have varying times a smart campaign was tracking and more opportunity for other programs to have an affect on how many members of that program filled out a form as a result of that email send (are we able to draw conclusion like this or do conclusions need to be drawn differently or phrased differently?) I am worried with just because when we go to compare email programs for instance about which program produced more form fill outs our metrics we will be looking at will be skewed.

Any thoughts?