Does Marketo allow update of Account/Organization via API

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Marketo allow update of Account/Organization via API

We have a need to get Asset (e.g. product) information from Salesforce for use in segmentation.  That said, Marketo does not support sync of that object (of note - Asset object is related to Account object).  

So we are now investigating whether it's possible to create a custom account/organization field in Marketo & then use the API to update that field.  Does anyone know if this approach is feasible?  

Our challenge, is that products are related to accounts (not contacts or leads) so this information cannot reside at the person level in the Marketo object model.
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Marketo allow update of Account/Organization via API

Not directly, at least not at the moment. Here are the things we support right now, directly through our API:
  • Populating a Marketo only custom object related to the person (Soap API)
  • Populating account fields on the person (but not linking them together in a full, normalized account and person table structure) (Soap & REST APIs)
In the near term we'll be adding REST support for the custom object and after than adding a set of calls to really create accounts.

Now, if I were you and trying to do this right now I'd denormalize the field and write to that via the API. So, create a field on the person and update every person in that account when it changes. Similarly, you could create a custom object and replicate it across all the people in the account. Not perfect, but I've certainly seen many customers do it.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Josh, I'm fairly sure you can sync Assets via the native sync. Just make sure the Marketo user account in SFDC can access the Asset object. This is a screenshot of my custom object config in Marketo: 
0EM50000000Svm6.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jep, that is exactly what we are looking for but unfortunately I don't see that on Object Sync.  I have logged in to Salesforce with our Marketo sync id & can see Assets through the UI so I know that the id has permissions.  Any ideas on why it wouldn't show in the Object sync window?

As a follow-up, this community article seems to allude to the fact that Asset integration is not possible:  https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PX4KAAW

Nicole_Mossinge
Level 7

Hi Jep:

I'm working with Josh and checked the instance again. Here are the custom objects we can see:

0EM50000000Sw84.jpg
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

I think this is the key setting to make Assets visible (this is in the Profile for the Marketo user). Then you'll need to refresh the schema in Marketo. 

0EM50000000SwB8.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

No that is not the issue, we have it wide open in terms of permissions.  As I stated, when I login to SF using the Marketo sync id, I can see & edit the Asset object so I'm 100% confident it has permission.0EM50000000SwBN.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Integrating Assets object into Marketo is possible.  Wanted to let everyone know what was done to fix the issue.

Although the Assets object was opened up in terms of permissions (we gave Read, Create, Edit, Delete), we did not have the Account or Contact field on the Asset record visible.  So going into our marketo sync profile & checking the field permissions on the Assets object was the missing piece. 

We now see Assets in Marketo.  Important to note, you can create SmartLists using Assets but you are unable to create Segmentations.