AnsweredAssumed Answered

Programs vs Campaigns

Question asked by Randy Davis on Jan 7, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 by Randy Davis
(Clarification: This post is not about sending Alerts or using Operational campaigns. It is about using a single Program to send two marketing emails to two different lead databases under different sales rep names, and then being able to extract the Open/Click results for each email in order to provide those results to the respective sales reps. It is also a question about whether a Program has to be approved to be effective, or whether it can serve a good purpose by simply acting as a means of organization.)
--------------------------
We are having a lively discussion about how to best use Programs and Campaigns in the following scenario:
  • Emails need to be sent to two different audiences under two different Sales Rep names
  • Results need to be exported by Sales Rep and Activity Type, and provided to each Sales Rep with just that Sales Rep's results
Option One:
  • Build a Program that identifies the Audience, Email, and Schedule for Sales Rep 1
  • Build a Trigger Campaign that identifies the Audience, Email and Schedule for Sales Rep 2
In this Option, the Program is Approved, which sends Email 1 for Sales Rep 1; then, the trigger campaign (triggered on the delivery of Email 1) sends Email 2 for Sales Rep 2.

However, this mixes the results of the two email sends, and makes it more difficult to separate out the results for Email 1 and Email 2 (i.e., for Sales Rep 1 and Sales Rep 2). We need to provide both sales rep.s with just those leads that opened/clicked emails from them.

Option Two:
  • Build a Program but with no Audience, no Email, no Schedule and no Approval
  • Build a Batch Campaign that identifies the Audience, Email and Schedule for Sales Rep 1
  • Build a Trigger Campaign that identifies the Audience, Email and Schedule for Sales Rep 2
In this Option, the Program is not Approved. It merely serves as a way to organize the campaigns, emails, etc. However, the results of emails sent on behalf of Sales Reps 1 and 2 are easy to identify by Campaign, and can be sorted and exported by Activity Type.

My primary question is, What is the disadvantage of creating but not approving an Email Send Program that contains various campaigns?

My secondary question is, Should the two emails from the two Sales Reps be sent from two separate Programs rather than trying to send both through a single Program, even though that seems like quite a bit of extra work in cloning and tailoring?

We are struggling with Marketo's claim that Programs are "the most important thing" we will use in Marketo, and that it is an essential part of best practices.

I would appreciate any insight you have.

Outcomes