Gated Resources Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gated Resources Question

Hi All,

I'm looking for your advice.  We are creating a new gated resource section on our website for whitepapers and on-demand webinars.  Would you recommend that we send them the whitepaper via email or make it available immediately after completing the form?

• The benefit to sending it via email is that we force users to provide valid emails, but it degrades user experience because they will receive an email for every asset they select and it complicates the workflow in Marketo.
  • The benefit to providing the resources after the form submission is that the site visitor will get their download immediately, but they might provide us with a fake email.
Which approach would you recommend?

Thanks!
-Jamie
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Kimi_Heskett1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: Gated Resources Question

We sort of mash these two processes together by doing this:  

registration page we say 'email me the report'....

0EM50000000QSe4.jpg

but on the confirmation page we still offer the immediate download AND they are emailed it as well...

0EM50000000QSe9.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kimi,

I link how the button to download sets the expectation that they will receive the report via email, which of course they do.  

Best,
-Jamie
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Kimi's "Email me the report" button too!  We may do that since that is what we actually do.  However, there are services like StrikeIron, that can validate the email address in real time, which removes the need to actually send a delivery email with the link.  We are considering moving to this in the future.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are definitely benefits to doing both and that's what we do.

The follow-up email that links to the whitepaper can be used as a semi-nurture email that suggests next steps.

Agree that Kimi's button is pretty cool.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!  I signed up for a trial of StrikeIron and will expirement with these options.

-Jamie