SOLVED

Importing leads in non-Western fonts Japanese, Chinese etc.

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing leads in non-Western fonts Japanese, Chinese etc.

We received a few lead lists from our partner in Japan. It's an Excel file with all Japanese fonts. When I convert it into .CSV, everything is lost (Japanese fonts are converted into a bunch of underscores). Has anyone ever imported leads listed in Japanese (or Chinese or Korean) fonts in Marketo before? Any work around that you can think of? My view is that it will create several complications in Salesforce as well but I would like to know if someone has already tried this before.

Thanks,
Franco
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Importing leads in non-Western fonts Japanese, Chinese etc.

Using the following process helped me in some cases in the past:
  • prerequisite - have a google drive account.
  • upload csv to said account
  • open on google drive, then select download as csv. by default, google drive encodes csv files in utf-8.
  • without opening the csv in a local program, try loading to marketo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The original file either needs to be exported in Unicode (UTF-8) character set or, if done already, you need to set your spreadheet to use that character set.

OpenOffice handles multiple character sets very cleanly. MS-Excel is supposed to do that reasonably well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talend Open Studio (free edition available at http://www.talend.com/) is a good resource if the original files cause consistent conversion problems.

Your computer must have Unicode (UTF-8) characetr set installed. By default Mac OS X and Liniux have, MS-Windows may need to have it enabled.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the following process helped me in some cases in the past:
  • prerequisite - have a google drive account.
  • upload csv to said account
  • open on google drive, then select download as csv. by default, google drive encodes csv files in utf-8.
  • without opening the csv in a local program, try loading to marketo
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your answers, I was able to solve these issue. Unfortunately OpenOffice has some weird behaviors with the Mac version (it worked well on Windows). Both Talend and Google Drive solved this issue, even though I would recommend Talend for larger data set (we only had a couple of hundreds leads).

Franco
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talend is indeed the most suitable option for large data sets. I used it successfully in a previous job as Oracle DBA with really big data sets, typical of most Oracle environments.

It is sad OpenOffice for Mac did not work well for you. I am proudly an Unix hardliner. Mac OS X is my desktop of choice (it is based on FreeBSD, a POSIX). OO is not perfect yet. LibreOffice is a step ahead.
Still, I agree, Idan's sugegstion and Talend are the way to go!