Tracking web page visits with or without the "www" prefix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking web page visits with or without the "www" prefix

I am setting up a Marketing Activity to target people who have hit some pages.  However, I have noticed that when I type in URLs to target, the auto-fill is suggesting duplicate URLs, giving me the option of including the URLs with the "www" prefix.  For example:

"www.xyz.com"
"xyz.com"

This is leading me to believe that those who type in "www." are going to be tracked differently than those who don't.  Is this true?  Does it not merge the data since they technically are hitting the same exact page?  I was hoping that I would only have to select one URL, preferrably without the prefix.  Also, if I am running Smart Campaigns, then I would need to always include both with and without "www."

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracking web page visits with or without the "www" prefix

Use contains in filters and drop the www's entirely, will catch them all.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue I am more interested in is if people are being tracked separately if they are visiting the URL by typing "www." or not.

Even so, filtering out using "contains" works for most cases, but we have several URLs running that have similar structures (difficult to explain), so "contains" would include more than one target domain.

"xyz.com"
"abcxyz.com"
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

The pages are being tracked separately by unique URL, but they all attached to the same lead record (so people aren't being tracked separately). Www.xyz.com is a different page from xyz.com according to Marketo (BTW also according to Google and other search engines). Ask your webmaster to redirect pages on xyz.com to www.xyz.com, that will also increase your search engine ranking. 

Best, 
Jep

BTW: for completely separate domains such as abc.com and xyz.com, leads are tracked separately until they have filled out a form on both domains (or clicked a link in an email going to both domains).