Merging Anonymous Lead with non-anonymous record

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merging Anonymous Lead with non-anonymous record

Hello,

I have a lead which was sync'ed from salesforce (let's call him John Q).  He has filled in a non-marketo form on my web site, so I know exactly who he is, and where he was at 8:00 AM last Wednesday.  

I have an anonymous lead in marketo (we'll just call it X).  X has the 33 pages that John Q visited during his 8:00 AM jaunt, but, of course, doesn't know who X is, because no marketo form has been filled out.

I want to get these two leads (X and John Q) merged into one lead, so that I have the 33 web pages from X attributed properly to John Q.

There was an idea posted to simply add the email to X that matches, then run a de-dup list, pick the two leads, and merge them.  

This does not work, I THINK because the anonymous leads won't show up in the smart list, even if they fit the bill.

Any ideas on how I can either:
A) Merge these leads another way
B) Turn "Is Anonymous" to False for X

Thanks,
C
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merging Anonymous Lead with non-anonymous record

You'll need to create a Smart List with 3 filters:
  1. Is Anonymous is True
  2. Is Anonymous is False
  3. Email address is johnq@example.com
Then use Custom Filter logic to say:

(1 or 2) and 3

I have tested this functionality in production, and it does allow both known and anonymous leads to appear in the same Smart List.  You can merge the records then.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Re: Merging Anonymous Lead with non-anonymous record

Chris, if your non-Marketo form has Munchkin code installed and can capture the Marketo cookie in a SFDC custom field, then you can automate this merge process using Webhooks (available on all editions, except Spark). Details in this document

Summary: 
  • Put munchkin on the page with the non-Marketo form
  • Use JavaScript to capture the Marketo Cookie ID (_mkt_trk) in a hidden field
  • Save this cookie ID in a custom SFDC field that is synced with Marketo
  • Cookie ID syncs to Marketo via this custom field
  • Webhook will associate the Cookie ID with the known lead records by filling out a Marketo form in the background