Adding "Email" vs. "Smart Campaign containing Send Email Flows" into Engagement Streams

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding "Email" vs. "Smart Campaign containing Send Email Flows" into Engagement Streams

Hi Community--

In Engagement Content streams under Content, if we have a combination of one-off Emails and Smart Campaigns, which contain Emails--does Marketo recognize and scan the Emails within the Smart Campaigns against the one-off Emails in such a way that it prevents duplicate content from being delivered? Put another way, do I have to parse out the emails in the Smart Campaigns and add them to the Content Stream a la carte in order for us to leverage the capability of Engagement Programs to prevent duplicate content from being sent?

I ask because I'm working on transitioning our existing nurturing programs and campaign structure into the new engagement model. There may be times when some of the one-off emails already exist within the Smart Campaigns and/or I want a piece of content to take priority and don't necessarily want to have to go into the Smart Campaign and remove that email from the flow. I'd like to be able to just drag and drop our existing campaigns instead of having to parse each individual email into the Content Stream.

Relatedly, our existing campaigns have wait steps, e.g. "Send Email, Wait 5 days, Send Email, Wait 5 days..." Should I remove the wait steps in these campaigns and use the Stream Cadence instead?

Additionally, if there were multiple streams in an engagement model, but there was some overlap in content between the streams, does the "do not send duplicate content" still apply across streams? i.e. Stream A and Stream B both have Email X. John Doe enters Stream A and receives Email X. Three weeks later, John Doe enters Stream B--does he receive Email X again?

Lastly, has Marketo released any official documentation on how to migrate existing nurturing program and campaign structure over to the new engagement model?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding "Email" vs. "Smart Campaign containing Send Email Flows" into Engagement Streams

You can add emails or Programs to the stream.  If you add an email. the content will not be sent to a lead again if they have already received it.  Using programs gives you a bit more control over when you resend content to a lead.  If the lead is a member of the existing program, and you add it to a stream, they will not receive the content again.  

Regarding your wait question, you should use the cadence on the stream.  It replaces the wait.

The do not send duplicate content applies across streams as well.

Do you have a traffic cop nurture?  If so, I will be doing a webinar on how best to convert.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding "Email" vs. "Smart Campaign containing Send Email Flows" into Engagement Streams

Thanks, Cheryl.

And yes - we do have a traffic cop nurture. I'd love to sit in on this webinar. Can you post the invite? Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cheryl--

I read this over and I think I've confused myself again.

Below is what I'm currently testing and asking about.

Stream A:
   a. Email 1
   b. Program X.Smart Campaign X
         Email 1
         Email 2
         Email 3
   c. Email 2

I've added 3 content to Stream A: Email 1, Smart Campaign X, and Email 2.
WIthin Smart Campaign X, I have Email 1 and Email 2.

Will the stream only send Email 1 once? Will the stream only send Email 2 once?

Additionally, to clarify, a lead is already in Program X (and let's say, have already received Email 1 and Email 2 within this Program X), and then are added to Stream A, what happens to them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When the leads hits this campaign in the stream, they will run through the entire flow, once.  is email 2 and 3 in the flow of the smart campaign or are they in separate campaigns?

Is the program a local program to the engagement program or are you referencing it?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email 1, 2, and 3 are all in the flow of that one smart campaign.

This program is not a local program--it is being referenced.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cheryl--

Any new thoughts on this one?

I just looked at the activity log of my test lead and under the following setup:

Stream A:
   a. Send Email 1
   b. Referenced Program X.Smart Campaign X
         Send Email 1
         Send Email 2
         Send Email 3
   c. Send Email 2

The test lead received Email 1 twice and only received Email 2 once.

From this, I decipher that adding a (Referenced) Smart Campaign to a stream will send the lead down that entire Smart Campaign and all associated Flow Actions, and the lead will receive every piece of content within that Smart Campaign regardless of what they've already received. Then, if there is more content in that stream after the Smart Campaign (like there is in this example), Marketo will then re-look at all the content that that lead has received and then apply the "do not send duplicate" accordingly. The only time that this isn't the case, is if the program is local to the Engagement Program, in which case Marketo WILL apply the "do not send duplicate" throughout the entire content stream.

Is this correct?

Lastly, I can't seem to find your webinar on transitioning traffic cop campaigns to the new engagement model. Can you send over a link? Thanks a bunch!
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes this is correct behavior.  Think of the program as a way to run a parellel flow.  The system will send out every email.  The stream looks at program membership to determine if the lead should run through the program again, when it is referenced in the stream.

I have not given the webinar on the Traffic Cop to engagement yet, but I'm hoping to schedule it and get an invite out next week.