Auto-Scrub Data Before Import

Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto-Scrub Data Before Import

We recently ran a report in Salesforce and discovered we have over 300 different values for Industry types. Our picklist is only 30 so these 270+ additional values are being generated when there is not an exact match when the lad pushes from Marketo -> SF.com. I previously used Eloqua where we had a "Contact Washing Machine" that auto-scrubbed the data so this would not occur. Is there a way to do this in Marketo? I cannot manually make sure import lists match the 30 selections available and I cannot manage or report on 300+ industry types. 
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto-Scrub Data Before Import

How is the non-standard data getting into Marketo? Is Industry a text field in your Marketo forms currently?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Industry is a picklist in Salesforce (not sure how it was setup in Marketo since I did not setup our instance)  - I assume it would be the same in Marketo..... So when lists are imported and the value in this column does not match the picklist, it just adds a new value. This operates this same way for any picklist field where the value in the import list does not exactly match.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it now...with bulk imports I have always just given my lead sources a template containing the list of values they can give me. Not ideal...but seems to work.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch! Ok - this isnt going to work since our lists are coming from tradeshows and I cant exactly tell a tradeshow how to format their reg page. 

I was really hoping Marketo had some kind of data scrub like Eloqua did - bummer!
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can build it...It would be a trigger-based smart campagin watching for:

-New Lead is created via list upload
-Industry does not equal one of your normalized vaules
-Flow would be Change Data Value flow step with choices based on "industry contains"
-anybody that didn't meet current conditions would getted added to a list (via flow-step) that you could use to update choices

...with a few hours of Q/A this would work well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would update choices on the list manually?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. also, I went and looked at some ofthe lists I get from shows...Most of mine come normalized based on the ISO values. are these big or small shows?