bart.gif

Why "No-Reply" is No Bueno

bart.gif

Why you should have a valid working from and reply to rather than a non-functional or "no-reply":

1) Encouraging engagement is key to maintaining a positive reputation. It demonstrates credibility to ISPs when recipients engage with your email and replying to your email and adding your address to an address book are both ways to get some positive reputation points. It is not likely that a subscriber will add "no-reply" to an address book.

tweet-noreply-email-address.png

2) Some subscribers will reply to unsubscribe. If that fails, they are likely to complain, which decreases your sender reputation.

3) You'll be able to capture out of office notifications that can help you clean up your database by identifying invalid addresses, like employees who no longer work for a company or to identify changes to the recipient's domain when a merger or acquisition occurs.

4) Imagine talking all the time to someone but not allowing them to reply. That's a bad relationship. That's the same message a no-reply sends to a subscriber.

5) It is important that the From Address be a valid email address, some filtering systems are validating that this is a real address that will accept mail. If the address is not a real email address this can cause mail to be blocked or undelivered.

Is this article helpful ?

YesNo

3 Comments
Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Hi Kiersti Esparza!!

So, if we can't use a DNR address, what do you recommend for FROM address?    Would you approve if we sent From an alias such as marketing@abc.com, as long as it is a legit email address/inbox that our IT Department created for us?

Can you suggest a way to manage this in a scale-able manner?  I'd love to allow people to do #1 and #2 above (Engage or unsubscribe) but with hundreds and thousands of replies, its just not feasible.  (I've heard of LeadGnome, but looking for something within Marketo-SFDC aka FREE). 

Kiersti_Esparz1
Level 7

Courtney,

I would definitely encourage the use of marketing@abc.com, as long as it is a legit email address/inbox that your IT Department created for you.  Because filters are looking to make sure your From Address is a real address - that last step is important. 

They key with the From Address is consistency.  Once you settle on the address try to stick with it for that email channel.  And I encourage using different From Addresses for different types of email campaigns (sales vs. marketing vs. nurturing).  Because the From Address carries reputation this will enable your different email channels to develop unique reputations within the same sending platform.

Marketo does not offer Reply Management built in. Do submit that as a product enhancement idea if it is something you would like to see.  Here’s a link to submit your idea to the Marketo Product Team: https://nation.marketo.com/community/product_and_support/create-idea!

We do have a Launchpoint partner who does provide Reply Management services:  http://launchpoint.marketo.com/siftrock/1849-siftrock/

- Kiersti

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Thanks so much Kiersti!  Miss you!