Submit Form API beta

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Submit Form API beta

OVERVIEW

Marketo Engage customers and partners have use cases or preferences for using non-Marketo forms, but still want submissions to enter their Marketo database. Many integrations today do so using server-side form POSTs to our /save or /save2 endpoints, which is an unsupported and forbidden method of data entry to our platform. To meet these needs, we have developed a REST API endpoint meant to mimic the submission of a Marketo form including lead association and creating a “Fills Out Form” activity.

BETA DETAILS

This beta will allow access to the Submit Form REST API endpoint. This endpoint replicates the behavior of Marketo forms:
  • Creates and updates Person records in your database
  • Creates “Filled Out Form” activities on Person records which react to qualifying Triggers and Smart List filters
  • Performs anonymous person association when calls are submitted with cookie values

During the beta program you must:
  • Report on defects found during beta testing within one (1) business day.
  • Answer survey questions as needed.
  • Provide feedback regarding product documentation and help systems.
  • Be willing to act as a media reference for the product.

In return, you will get:
  • Involvement in the development cycle, which includes the ability to influence the final code and submit enhancement requests prior to release.
  • More stable code due to multiple individuals testing in many environments.
  • One-on-one contact with Product Management.
  • Resulting knowledge gained from participating in the beta test program.

Joining the beta

If you are interested in participating in this beta, please do the following:

We will provide you with access and documentation to the API endpoint after reviewing your application.

Enrollment will be open from October 1st - October 31st. We aim to release this endpoint GA in our January release.

Feedback

Email Us 

Be open to calls to discuss bugs or enhancement requests

Share your use cases with the Product Team

Steven Vanderberg | Product Manager, Marketo Engage Product Management | Adobe

9 REPLIES 9
Jon_Wu
Level 4

Re: Submit Form API beta

I've been a user of said forbidden methods for a while (set up once years ago, and had just been chugging along). I recognize this was not recommended, but we needed it to get around some limitations (e.g. concurrency) with the REST API, so I'm glad this beta is an option and will surely be signing up.

Performing anonymous person association for thousands of leads in a short amount of time without this wasn't possible. We also defer all associations to wait for Salesforce to Marketo sync to occur, which is why they need to be done server side, otherwise we get duplicate leads.

@Steven_Vanderb3 in the meantime, I was wondering if the latest October release had finally shut the door on the forbidden server-side POST. On the night of October 16, we started getting a 404 response when trying to server-side POST and wanted to know if this was an intentional permanent change, and if this beta would be the best way to replace our previous integration.

Nick_Morganti
Level 1

@Steven_Vanderb3 we have been using the /save2 endpoint for years now and started to get a 404 error as of Saturday as well - the data is still making its way to Marketo as a form fill but I would like to know what is happening with this endpoint and a timeline if possible. We don't use Marketo forms because our forms require a lot of validation and logic that Marketo just can't provide out of the box, so we send to the endpoint. Also is there a distribution list where I can get updates like these? I don't get these at all or know where to go to signup for these kinds of notices. 

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Nothing was changed intentionally; there has been a reported change in behavior with the release that is being investigated by our Support team. This method of data entry isn't supported and will be blocked in the future but there will be an official deprecation announcement about that (take this as an unofficial heads up).

Nick_Morganti
Level 1

Thanks @Steven_Vanderb3. How will this be communicated? Anything I need to subscribe to?

I submitted a request to be part of the beta, but don't know what to expect in terms of feedback or acceptance into the closed beta. I also couldn't sign the agreement.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

I'm working with our communication team on that question, but generally deprecations are announced on the Marketing Nation, Release Notes, and sometimes by email.

I've got multiple reports of the beta agreement not working and I'm having the team look into it.

Jon_Wu
Level 4

In case anybody else is hitting this, I tried to sign up for the beta twice in Chrome and again in Safari, but I got an error when trying to sign the contract. The contract form just seems to be broken, but the signup itself is OK. I emailed Steven about it.

Stephanie_Sweet
Level 2

@Steven_Vanderb3 was this endpoint released for GA?

Stephanie Sweetland
Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Hi Stephanie,

Yes, this was released in our January release https://developers.marketo.com/blog/january-2021-updates/

pliske
Level 1

I know the beta is over, and the API has been released this past January (2021)
https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/endpoint-reference/lead-database-endpoint-reference/#!/Leads...

however, that API has a seemingly unsolvable problem:  it does not works with duplicate emails.  Because an email needs to be passed in, and it fails if there is more than one lead with that email, there is no way to update a duplicate with this API.  Even if you were to make an additional call to fetch all matching leads, and determine which to update, there is no way to pass in another field or the Marketo ID to this SubmitFormUsingPOST to pick the lead to update.  

Is there any plans to fix/address this?