Re: Ad Tracking with Marketo | Nation Talks Series

Joe_Reitz
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Ad Tracking with Marketo | Nation Talks Series

Ad tracking, and any kind of data analytics for that matter, NEEDS to be a part of your SOP. Marketo offers a couple cool ways to track how your customers and prospects are interacting with your ads right out of the box, and this video shares a few insights and best practices I’ve picked up along the way!

If it doesn't look cool, you're probably doing it wrong.
6 REPLIES 6
Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Joe Reitz​, Is your content channel and digital advertising channel progression statuses different? If so, what are they?

Joe_Reitz

No, they're essentially the same. We think of ads as a vehicle to the Content, but when we run reporting we want to be able to separate digital advertising from regular content. Both tags are basically just tracking success, and are dependent on a form fill.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Thank you

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

One more question   Do you see any concerns around using the same channel tag but utilizing a Tag (Maybe name Traffic Source) to separate regular content from digital advising?

Joe_Reitz

You certainly won't break anything doing it that way.. But I think it depends on how you want to manage your reporting. If you do want to go that route, you could just add the advertising costs into your overall content program costs, but the problem there for me is that those costs are above and beyond what it took to create a piece of content and can skew your ROI reporting.. I prefer to report on ROI for the content itself, and prove whether the advertising venue was worth it by having it's reporting data trackable via a separate program.

In my mind a "channel" is the method programs use to progress a lead to "engaged success." We use other tags to delineate business verticals, content type, etc., and the channels as more of an overall indicator of input method... So Content, Digital Advertising, Contact Us, etc.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Thanks Joe.