SOLVED

Re: What field is best to use to filter out Marketo-Only leads and not SFDC-synced ones?

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

What field is best to use to filter out Marketo-Only leads and not SFDC-synced ones?

When I run my campaigns, I only want SFDC synced leads to be added to a SFDC Campaign if they open, click, fill out form. If they are Marketo-only leads, I only want them synced to the campaign if they fill out a form.

I tried using the SFDC Type (person) is NOT EMPTY as criteria to achieve this, but it seems that there are Marketo-only leads that have been synced to SFDC in the past, but deleted from SFDC afterwards, and their SFDC type still stays as "lead" in Marketo. So they are not being properly excluded.

I'm wondering if there is another field I can base the criteria on that would work even if the lead was previously synced to SFDC and then removed to become a Marketo-only lead.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

Re: What field is best to use to filter out Marketo-Only leads and not SFDC-synced ones?

You could use advanced filters and try:

SFDC Type is empty OR (SFDC Type = Lead AND Lead was Deleted from SFDC)

Based off of you comments I would think this would bring in people who have never synced to SFDC or have synced to SFDC but have since been deleted.

Let me know if this works

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

You could check if the field "SFDC Type" is empty.
It has three possible values: lead, contact, or it's empty. If it's empty, it means that this Marketo lead does not exist in SFDC.

Danielle_Wong

I had the same thought, Gerard!

So apparently, when a Marketo lead gets synced to SFDC, but then we later determine it should just be a Marketo-only lead and remove it from SFDC, the SFDC type in Marketo is still SFDC Type = Lead.  And so in these instances, we wouldn't want to include these people. Using the SFDC Type is empty would not include this lead.

So that's why I'm trying to find an alternative to this.

Does that make sense? Let me know.. I can try to rephrase. Thank you!

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Danielle Chan,

So when you remove them from Salesforce who owns the lead? Can you target the leads by the owner name or lack there off? Also, I would look at running a batch to null those leads SFDC Type if possible.

Thanks,

Gerard

Danielle_Wong

Gerard, thanks for the help!

When the lead originally was synced to SFDC, it was assigned a lead owner. When it got removed from SFDC, the lead owner did not change. So we can't target by owner.

Running a batch to null them would be a good idea. I just have to figure out a way to still isolate those leads that were once in SFDC but no longer in SFDC, and then run the flow.

Also, I'll look into creating an automation that when a lead is deleted from SFDC, that the SFDC Type is nulled as well. Not sure if that's possible.

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Danielle, what way were the leads deleted? Were they removed via Salesforce?  Is there no way to pull the reports of the program that was running to remove them and get all previous members. You could then import that list and null the values that way.

Other than that I'm stumped at the minute.

Danielle_Wong

Hi Gerard, the leads were deleted from Salesforce. Going to the SFDC Lead record and then deleting it. So we didn't use a smart campaign program in which we can pull the members.  But I'm sure that would have been a way to update the SFDC lead type!!

Thanks again for your great input!

Danielle_Wong

So I went to see if there's a flow to set up to clear out the SFDC Type (person) and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it! It doesn't look like it's a field we can update ourselves. Must be a system generated one. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this..

Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

You could use advanced filters and try:

SFDC Type is empty OR (SFDC Type = Lead AND Lead was Deleted from SFDC)

Based off of you comments I would think this would bring in people who have never synced to SFDC or have synced to SFDC but have since been deleted.

Let me know if this works

Danielle_Wong

Hi Kevin, thanks for the idea! I will give it a try and see if it does what I need it to do.