Re: Tracking Marketo ID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Marketo ID

We want to track the unique ID of the user in Google Analytics if someone fills out the Marketo form. Is there a way we can call the Marketo ID or Lead ID of the user? I cannot find any token for this.

9 REPLIES 9
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Use {{lead.id}}

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Jim, {{Lead.Id}} can't be expected to be available directly after form fillout, so this won't work reliably.

Sargam Gera to ensure you have a unique, non-PII ID, generate a random hidden field client-side and keep a history of that field in Marketo.

Built-in sort-of-alternatives are the Munchkin cookie value (_mkto_trk) and the aliId parameter, but both are problematic (in the first case, the cookie can be used to locate personal information and also may be reused; in the second case, you need to make sure there's a Visit Web Page logged for the Thank You URL that contains the aliId).

Michael_Mason
Level 4

We're trying to do something fairly similar in that we're trying to pass info back to google post form fill-out for ad serving quality purposes.

We recently had 78 form fill-outs, 55 of which were undesirable. We want Google to optimize for the 23 positive conversions. To do that, we need to be able to tie the Google conversion pixel ID to some unique Marketo ID so after we determine what is undesirable, we can pass the Google Conversion ID back to Google so they can optimize accordingly.

SanfordWhiteman

Then your choices would be a custom random (String) field generated on the client and stored on the lead, or the Munchkin cookie value (which is an existing form of random id).

I'd definitely prefer use the former as it doesn't confuse the purposes of the the cookie (and the cookie might be reassigned, breaking a later lookup).

Michael_Mason
Level 4

Thanks Sanford. I always gratefully appreciate the speed and quality of your responses. (I cannot follow my own posts, much less new ones.)

I think we were trying to do this with GCLID, but from others previous posts where you replied, it did not look like that was a reliable method to track back to an individual in Marketo who arrived from a paid search ad.

Thanks again!

SanfordWhiteman

I think we were trying to do this with GCLID...

The GCLID wouldn't apply because it's unique per-ad-campaign-session, not just per-session.

Michael_Mason
Level 4

I wonder then how Google would accept feedback from their ad clients to better target?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why per ad campaign session would exclude the possibility that Google could track down the campaign from which it came. Could they not, in Marketo parlance, say GCLID is (Insert value) when Client ID = our client ID and track someone down that way? Or it's entirely possible that I'm not understanding what per-ad-campaign-session means.

SanfordWhiteman

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why per ad campaign session would exclude the possibility that Google could track down the campaign from which it came.

It's not that Google can't track it: they can embed whatever information they want in their session identifiers.

It's that you can't use it as a session identifier since it has a many-to-one rel'ship with your definition of "session."

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Just as a heads-up: the single easiest way to resolve this is to use Measurement Protocol as a webhook in conjunction with non-interaction hits and whatever key pair you're using to tie Google Analytics sessions/users and Marketo sessions/users together. It takes most of the heavy lifting out of it.