SOLVED

Re: Tag leads who engage with 2 or more different (or distinct) emails

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tag leads who engage with 2 or more different (or distinct) emails

A little context here: this is an engagement program where we'd like leads in a particular stream to be marked as a success if they have opened up two or more different emails. This sounded simple enough until I started trying to setup the smart lists for it.

For example, say I have 2 "Opened Email" filters, each with the same list of emails, then I'm assuming the lead would qualify for both conditions even if they only opened one:

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 1.08.49 PM.png

This is possible if you account for every combination of emails they could open (#1 & #3, #2 & #3, etc...) but that's not maintainable when adding more emails to the stream.

Is there some constraint within Marketo that I'm missing? Would love to hear thoughts on the best way to approach this, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi all,

Unfortunately, this is not possible and yet, the capability would be much needed. The impossibility comes from the fact that, as pointed ou by Jon, Marketo does not make a difference between someone opening two different emails once each and opening the same email twice.

Hence that idea I entered a while ago:

Also, you should keep in mind that "opens email" event are quite unreliable by design. It relies on downloading a pixel image, and therefore:

• Someone who does not download images by default might not be counted (defaut Outlook behavior)
  • Someone may be counted as opened while he/she was only browsing rapidly through his inbox
  • Antismap system will download the images and this will count as an open.

-Greg

@Nicholas Manojlovic​ my profile is the only one with a "primary" in the profile name

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Nurture - Tag leads who have opened 2 or more different emails

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 1.35.02 PM.png

There is a constraint.  Add constraint min number of times.  That should take care of it.  Use one filter opened email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nurture - Tag leads who have opened 2 or more different emails

Hi Jessica, thanks for the reply. The only problem with that solution is it doesn't catch people who open the same email more than once. I know that won't be a huge number, but we'd still like to exclude that.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

I bet Greg (impossible to tag) knows whether a person who opens the same email twice would actually be counted in this context.

I have a suspicion that a person cannot open the same email twice and be counted for that (it would be an odd metric to measure if someone opened the same email more than once).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi all,

Unfortunately, this is not possible and yet, the capability would be much needed. The impossibility comes from the fact that, as pointed ou by Jon, Marketo does not make a difference between someone opening two different emails once each and opening the same email twice.

Hence that idea I entered a while ago:

Also, you should keep in mind that "opens email" event are quite unreliable by design. It relies on downloading a pixel image, and therefore:

• Someone who does not download images by default might not be counted (defaut Outlook behavior)
  • Someone may be counted as opened while he/she was only browsing rapidly through his inbox
  • Antismap system will download the images and this will count as an open.

-Greg

@Nicholas Manojlovic​ my profile is the only one with a "primary" in the profile name

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming that Gregoire. Definitely agree about opens being unreliable - the key here is that we really need the ability to have an "is distinct" or "is unique" constraint for activities like opens, clicks, filled out form, etc... There are workarounds to this but it's so unwieldy to implement it's almost not worth doing.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Then vote for the idea

-Greg